Another urgent second opinion - chimney breast removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jake hurst, Jul 17, 2015.

1. jake hurst

jake hurst New Member

Hi,
    another last minute concern over my current project - this time about making good after removing the chimney breast.

Stack and breast have been removed, top to bottom no probs. However, behind it is a single layer of brick which is an external wall (original a solid, 2 layer brick wall). There are a few little gaps in it where I can see through. The bottom 1m is in worse shape.

My builder was planning to fill in the gaps and put in studwork with insulation. This would make this bit of wall only 1 layer of brick thick - is this OK? He said putting a second layer of bricks all the way up to the top is a big, expensive, unnecessary job.

I have a bricky coming this afternoon so agreed he could do some spot repairs, maybe do a second layer of bricks along the bottom 1-2m. There will be a damp proof membrane going over this bottom bit afterwards.

Any advice on this? Is it common practice to completely brick up or is studwork OK?

Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's would help.

3. jake hurst

jake hurst New Member

chimneystack1__1437124478_195_167_178_194.jpg chimneystack2__1437124518_195_167_178_194.jpg
    ah yes, course, photo of groundfloor and first floor ....cheers

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

How has the chimney been supported in the loft?
    I am just DIY but I would be putting some more bricks in. Can't you do it yourself?
    It is not difficult.

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Sorry stack removed. Better wait for a professional opinion. Please ignore previous post.
    I think your problem is a structural one and not a DIY proposition.

6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

I'm only DIY but a remaining single skin of brick seems insufficient - the original fireplace and stack got strength from being effectively a tall brick 'box' construction. Removing effectively three sides will weaken it significantly so more brick work seems needed. Also the lower courses of brick appear to have been eroded by the corrosive effect of the fire fumes (sulphuric acid isn't it?) - a common sight on old stone houses with the tell tale black streak up the external wall. A structural engineer/pro builder will tell you what's needed. As PB says, its only bricks! - and will be plastered over.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ideally the wall needs completely rebuilding, as it's an extieor wall,structural integrity is paramount,how much depends on structural engineer advice, he might even want new foundations poured first,but it won't be cheap doing it & using studwork part way up ain't acceptable.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. Brian is correct. The wall should have been the original 1 brick thick (what you call 2 layer). Where the chimney breast was, the 'box' construction of half-brick thick wall (what you call 1 layer) added rigidity to the building.

The correct remedial for this is to use screw-in wall ties (with wall plugs) over the chimney breast area, and brick it up, toothing in the bricks either side. This will make the wall 1 brick thick uniform over the whole wall area.

Ensure the joints are fully pointed on the outside to ensure that driving rain does not penetrate the wall through open joints.

Screw in ties:
    upload_2015-7-19_9-29-40.png

Tooth in brick work (an alternative would be to use wall starts either side, but toothing in the brick work is more ideal):
    upload_2015-7-19_9-31-2.png

9. SJS Building

SJS Building New Member

As the works are structural I assume you have involved Building Control at your local council....AS THEM!!! or a Structural engineer.
    The wall needs to be bricked/blocked in and tied to the outer bricks.....just look at the teeth in your trouser zip and the chances of them becoming un-ziped....if this happens in you house wall say bye bye to your life!

10. roughberty

roughberty Member

Yes, a surveyor's report followed by a retrospective building notice and a remedy along the lines suggested by SJS.
    It can happen that only the external render coat - if you have one - is holding the wall up. Don't remove the render!

11. Sieski_uk

Sieski_uk New Member

tell your builder where to go for a start..... that needs a fair bit of work... think of long high single skin garden walls )not many if im honest) but they all had pillars every so many eet right? thats what gave it the strentgh... you just removed the pillar in your wall......