Any alternative to Pimlico Plumbers in London?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Hi.

Bro is needing some plumbing work done in his flat in the Big Smoke. Since he can't find someone to recommend a plumber, he's gonna have to 'rely' on Pimlico Plumbers.

They seem to have a decent reputation, but they sure ain't cheap - it's an £80 call out chust to discuss the work wot needs doing.

Anyone know of an alternative?

Ta.

2. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Haha they're rediculously priced!! Erm if I wasn't booked up I'd offer my services mate but I haven't got a free day till Feb...what's he need doing? If it's only something small I might be able to fit it in of an eve?

Rulland likes this.
  3. Hi P'bish. Thanks for the reply.

He needs a bath/shower deck mixer swapped (he's ordered a thermostatic Mira Excel for this) and almost certainly a Grundfos domestic booster fitted on the hot and cold supplies to compensate.

Although the Mira is theoretically rated for as low as 0.1bar, I expect it to be a poorer shower than his current manual, rubber-washer type mixer. I dount he mas more than 1m head.

He doesn't want thrumming pumps and 'power shower' performance, just a nice adequate wetting. So I personally suggested the Grundfos as it boosts by between 0.5 and 0.75 bar, enough to at least double what he has now, which would be great.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

4. Are you GasSafe? 'Cos he will also have to look at updating his ancient boiler next year.

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

There are many other plumbing firms in London that are ok and not so expensive - get googling!

6. I'd love an actual recommendation, tho'. Or my bro would.

I know PP is expensive, but I believe their reputation is pretty good?

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Well your bro must know someone who's had some plumbing done recently, who did they use, what were they like. Speak to the neighbours.

8. That's the prob - he doesn't know anyone who's had plumb work done recently to ask.

Neighb's? This is London, man... :(

9. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

You know I don't know how any plumber would ever find any room to park their van in London! :)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't speak to your neighbours in London or on the tube, it's the rules. You can talk on buses though. :)

Dave Stewart likes this.
  11. Many moons ago, when I lived in London myself, bro and I invited our mum down for a visit - from the Utter Hebrides. Of course, up there, everyone talks to everyone else.

So it was that in every shop my lovely mum went in to, she'd speak with every person she saw, and with the cashiers. You've never seen such a startled look on people's faces... :oops:

12. meady

meady Member

What area of London is he in?

13. The cheap part - Notting Hill :rolleyes:

(Top floor flat - six storeys up...)

14. Plumberbish

I've not seen the grundfos home booster, I just googled it n from the ones I've seen they're only for boosting the main (or a hot or cold singularly....) do they do a twin version? Or have I completely mis-read/understood due to a lack of sleep (the joys of daddy-hood haha)

15. Hi P'Bish - it's this fellow: http://www.prestigepumps.co.uk/uploads/files/Grundfos_1/UPA_15-90.PDF

Essentially a glorified circulating pump, but fitted with an auto-flow switch.

The reason for two separate pumps is that I don't think the cold water feed to the taps comes down through the airing cupboard where the hot cylinder is located, so the chances are that the 'cold' pump will need fitting elsewhere, hopefully up where the storage tank is on the roof (inside a purpose-made 'shed').

The other reasons for me suggesting these pumps as opposed to a 'proper' twin shower pump is to (a) avoid any noise (it would have to be fitted under the bath as that's the only place where both pipes are present side by side, just before they feed the bath), (b) he doesn't want a powerful 'whooooosh' - this is just an over-bath shower that would benefit form, say, a 'doubling' of flow, and (c) it would also be of benefit if the hot and cold supplies to all the taps and cisterns were slightly boosted, and not just the shower (the kitchen hot tap, in particular, is feed by a 15mm pipe going a torturous route to the sink unit).

I'm pretty sure it's straight-forward (and a job I'd do for him myself if I were in London); the airing cupboard has easy access to the hot pipes and a power supply, and the 'shed' on the roof will have easy access to the cold feed to the flat and there is also power up there in the section of that 'shed' which is where you exit on to the roof - it's been turned into a small 'office'.

Whether the hot cylinder also needs a 'home-counties' flange fitted, I ain't qualified to answer.

Thoughts?

16. Does he use this to deliver the new taps?

http://www.helirig.com/

17. Plumberbish

Oh I see your logic...haha I had to work out what you meant by a Home Counties flange!! (A Surrey flange) well normally I'd say yes to installing one so you can use the air free side to it to feed the pump...only problem at the moment is finding time to fit it in...I would expect it'd take me the majority of a day to fit the Surrey flange, pumps, tap and alter any associated pipework...I'm just not sure I'd be able to find a full day before the new year...

18. No problem, P'Bish - many thanks for considering it.

He really wants it done before then as nephew's family with kids is coming to stay over just after Christmas, and he wants the shower working safely for them.

Another other companies comes to mind in the Big Smoke as an alternative to Pimlico?

19. Plumberbish

Erm to be honest I'm not sure, I've got mates who are also plumbers but are one man bands like me n are also booked up for ages...Oh maybe try Chelsea plumbing and heatin (it's a plumbers merchants on the Kings road in London that has its own guys to do jobs for them...they all seem to be pretty clued up in there but I couldn't tell you what their prices are like...definitely worth a call tho I'd say

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

10 years ago I asked a plumber for a quote to drain and refill a central heating system in a 3 floor house in Muswell Hill, no work just drain and refill, he wanted £900.