Any cheapo tablet experts oot there?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Hi all.

Considering getting masel a cheapo (Chinese...) tablet to do basic stuff on, so all things Apple and Samsung are out of the equation. I'm talkin' £60-odd.

It will have little use, but just be there for a few tasks;

1) The first essential task is to stream the odd movie to the tele, so it will need an HDMI port (which many do even at £50).
    2) Then GPS would be handy for the odd time it's needed (I have an old TomTom, but its touch screen is off-kilter so I cannot press anything doon the LH side. Also, I don't intend to pay £30-odd to update the maps, so often find myself - according to the TT - driving across fields and over roundabouts which apparently don't exist...)
    3) That's it. Basic surfing, music storage and that's it.

9" or 10" screen.

Lots of options out there, and I've been looking at the merits of various processors, but I cannot find a site that properly compares them all.

There are 'Allwinner' CPUs, such as the Allwinner A83T Octa-Core CPU 2.0GHz and then there's the ARM ones like MT6572 Dual-Core ARM Cortex A7 1.3Ghz X 2 or even the MTK6592 Octa-core CPU and stuff.

Man, where do I start?

An example of the type I'm considering would be http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octa-Core...-Bluetooth-WIFI-1024-600-White-/151827583002? although that doesn't have GPS (I can fit a GPS dongle, I believe?)

Any help would be great - thanks :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Does it need to be 9 or 10"?

The new Fire is out next week and is supposedly very good. Only 7" though.

The problem with generic chinese tech is that support, if anything goes wrong, usually ends up with you having a long email conversation with someone who insists on calling you 'dear' and can't help you with your problem :(

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I don't have any kindle fire tablets, but I understand you get bombarded by Amazon adverts unless you pay the extra to stop it. Also I think they use their own App store, so may not have everything available.

If you don't need 9/10" I would have a look at the Tesco Hudl2, looks fairly good and you know if there are problems with it, they are fairly good at exchanges.

The down side to most of the cheaper units is that they are still being shipped with Android 4.4 you really want something running Android 5 to ensure you still get app compatibility over the next few years of its life. The link from KIAB looks to be a fairly good option, although don't kid yourself about the UK stuff, it's made by a Chinese company called Gooweel http://gooweel.com/Q102A 10.1inch Tablet PC

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should seen new tablets appearing soon with Christmas not far away, so there will be bargains to be had with older models.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Nobody mentioned ASUS. ????? It's what I've got, does what it says on the tin, for very little money.

7. Thanks all - lots of stuff there to get my head scratching.

I was assuming that 'going Chinese' would mean a better spec (eg quad and even Octo-core) for the same money, and I do understand I would lose out on the customer services part of it.

Can anyone confirm that a OTG-USB can feed out both video AND sound using an MHL cable? From what I read, MHL will connect USB to HDMI, so that would nicely take care of the lack of HDMI port on some tablets*.

GPS still remains a desirable feature, tho', and I also suspect 'Chinese' might be the affordable way to get there.

Cheers all.

* http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...s/what-is-mhl-and-why-do-you-need-it--1209802

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Give it a month & Christmas coming & you'll see more tablets with MHL appear.
    Samsung is one firm who support MHL, I just wish they bring out a £100 with it, they have a winner with it.
    MHL is something I'm watching, as I'm also looking for a tablet.

Hannspree SN1AT74B2E one I considered.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  9. parahandy

Correct.

I got one of these fine fellows and it works perfik.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121375221053?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

10. Cheers, KIAB. That Hannspree looks good, but has no GPS.

Cool, Para. One important Q, tho' - is having a OTG USB port good enough for this to work, or does it have to be an MHL-compatible USB too?

Oh, and can't wait until Chrimbo - I have a £29 eBay voucher to spend within a week... :(

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's what put me off it.:(

12. I feel your hurt, man. I'm in that place too... :(

13. If only I had GPS I could find my way oot... :rolleyes:

14. parahandy

As far as I know if the device supports OTG USB then you can output video.

I haven't come across one yet that doesn't.

15. Cool - that really helps.