Any Guitar players here?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Bertiebasset, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Ive played Guitar both Acoustic and Electric for 25 years and theirs not a day goes by, i don't have some (me) time and play a few tunes up in what used to be the spare room, which is now full of guitars, amps, sound boards etc

Anyone else in to their guitars here?

Bertie

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I love them, tried to learn but didnt last long. Just could not even get one chord right let alone be able to move from one to another!

Bertiebasset likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Used to play classical guitar up to grade 6, piano to grade 8 but only kept up percussion and moved to drums until my 30s. Haven't played a thing in ages but still want to get the kit out.

Bertiebasset likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I see a Screwfix band coming on. :D:D:D:D

Joe95 and Bertiebasset like this.
  5. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

When i started, i went down the whole "ill teach myself" route started playing bass notes, 1 string, then 2 etc but it really wasn't going anywhere, quick look through the rags i found myself a guitar teacher who charged i think.. £10.00 for an hour a week, all stated coming together and about 3 months later i was away on it.

Just treated myself to a 12 string couple of weeks ago, and just before Christmas i got an Epiphone 335 Electric guitar, so plenty to be getting on with.

Bertie

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had quit a few guitars over the years, sold some I wish I hadn't, back in 71 I bought a VOX Pear Drop (Brian Jones) and after a couple of years part/exed it for a Japanese Les Paul can't remember if it was a Columbus or Hondo, still, all worth a few quidski now prior to that I had a VOX Lynx similar looking to the 335. Have a genuine Fender Strat and an Epiphone SG both of which I have owned now for 20 years +.

Bertiebasset likes this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's an incredible skill to have. I admire peeps who can play an instrument. :)

I do live sound work for two bands near me. It's great fun, brings in a few extra quid too:D.
    Nowhere near what it was 20 odd years ago though, I used to own four double 15" cabinets, now I can get the more power and better sound out of 2 12"s and 2 15" subs, with about a quarter of the weight. I'd love to get one of those wireless sound desks though:rolleyes:.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pick up a working & barely used a Stag 60GA-R 60w guitar amp off Freecycle ealier this week, going to try & learn playing a guitar.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the things that I could never get was reading music or notes, scientific notation and complex maths, spoken and computer languages not a problem can even identify a person by their accent and speech but can't tell the difference between notes. Always been puzzled by it

10. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

It can be a hard thing to digest at first, infact, i only learned how to read music properly about 3 years after i first learnt to play guitar, before i could read music i had guitar books with songs, the lyrics and just the guitar chord name over the top for chord changes, after that i moved onto guitar Tab probably the most easiest to learn for guitarists.

Some of the greatest artists like Paul Mccartney could never read or write music but knew the difference in chords and chord shapes and constructed songs based on that.

Some people would pick it up quickly, others might take years (like me) some might not learn it at all and still enjoy playing.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I enjoy music and can tell when something is in / out of tune. But remembering what a particular note sounds like - could never grasp it

12. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I'll put my hand up. Been playing for 30 odd years. Currently rocking a Mexican Strat through a Marshall Code 50 and for quieter times a Recording King 000. Had a bit of a collection but everything bar these two got sold to help with the start up of the new business venture.

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Me too. I can play guitar, keyboards (and even the euphonium) Can't read music (well probably very, very slowly. Give me a sheet of music and it'd take me months to learn the song,,,, but,, let me hear the song a few times and I'll rattle it off within minutes. Having said that, in the 80's I was one of five people responsible for starting up a carnival band. After two years I actually started arranging some of the music they played. I split the trumpets up into 5 sections (lead, harmony, seconds, thirds and fourths (to play chords)) together with me on the euphonium to add a bass line. Actually sounded bloody fantastic and we started winning competitions. Hardest part was spending hours in the reference library finding out who owned the copyright of some of the music (for the PRS licence) So I can write music, but can't read it. :D:D:D:D

Bertiebasset likes this.
  14. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

A Bloke i worked with about 3 years ago, played guitar and was in a band and was for what it seemed a very talented songwriter, he allowed me to listen to one of his songs and it wasn't half good but sounded familiar at the same time, he had posted the song on youtube and other various audio streaming sites. He then proceeded to tell me the song was removed for copyright violation everywhere he posted it and the truth came out, he actually took the song "down under" by Men at work, moved it up two keys and changed one chord in the song and composed his own lyrics across the melody and they were going to do him for it if he proceeded at a commercial level. needless to say the band finished shortly after

very thin line in the music industry, end of the day their are only so many chords on a guitar and they have all been played before forwards and backwards, but this bloke deliberately ripped off another artist and almost paid a heavy price for it.

15. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I joined a choir a few years ago and began a slow journey back into music. have now got a few guitars to play with. Building up a repertoire so I can throw down something musical if needed. I am a lot more capable at reading dots in the choir and along with a practice recording, and working out unknown songs from scratch.

I got two Cordoba guitars. A small traveller and a thin Spanish type with pickup. I use them the most. Also a Sigma 12 string (Martin endorsed) for £60. My old Yamaha country acoustic steel stringer. The most difficult thing so far was turning Catch the Wind into a finger picking backing, but it motors on nicely. Also many old licks and unfinished ideas I have been able to work into well known songs in their arrangements.

Its endless, but you can get stuck in a rut twiddling the same old chords and shapes and licks, until the next inspiration comes along. I hope to get a hollow body soon and do some more jazz. You do need the sound to help you do the music. German Leider sounds great with guitar.

Bertiebasset likes this.
  16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Electric better to learn with? I did try Acoustic but found it difficult

17. P J Thompson

Electric or acoustic isn't really an issue. What is an issue, is get yourself something decent. Something with a nice neck and action, that goes and stays in tune.
    A poor or poorly set up guitar has stopped many many learners dead in their tracks. If it's a crud instrument it will be hard to play and always sound crud...even in the hands of a good player. So a novice thinks, "I'm crud, I can't play" and gives up.
    Get the best you can afford and give yourself the best chance. This way, even if you don't get on with it, there will be resale value :)

Electrics, probably are generally a bit easier to play but string gauge is an important factor. I would recommend setting a learner's guitar up with 10s, certainly no bigger than 11s. The bigger the strings, the more effort required to press them to the frets and when you're learning it's going to hurt anyway! Sad but a fact of life, learning the guitar hurts at first until your fingertips harden up and the finger and wrist muscles get used to it. Go through the pain. Love the pain :)

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I did try some years ago with an acoustic. I even had the nut altered and different strings put on. Still very difficult to get a decent chord let alone move from one and another!

Maybe electric would be better? Easier on the fingers? Plus, i guess it is better to get lessons up front rather than 'go it alone?'

19. P J Thompson

Honestly, you can get electrics that are hard to play and acoustics that are easy to play. Necks come in various sizes and widths on both. There is also a huge range of actions. Get one that feels comfortable to you. I'd actually recommend acoustic because with an electric you have the temptation to add distortion and effects to make it sound better and this could lead you toward sloppiness. An acoustic is 'naked'. If it sounds good it's cos you're playing it right.
    Lessons can help at first but youtube has excellent beginners tutorials in the 1000s. A chap called Marty Schwartz on there for example. A legend in the online guitar world.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Everyone's different Kools. It takes a lot of perserverence in the early days to even begin physically adapting to a stringed instrument...that's why a lot of people give up after a few weeks...it's bloody hard work. Fingertips are too soft, muscles and independence are un-trained and in-coordinated, and we all get impatient. Once you can get through a few months, and get a few basics under the old belt, it starts to become easier. There is so much information out there now that in some ways it's even harder to see the bigger picture.