Any Guitar players here?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Bertiebasset, Feb 9, 2017.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers guys. I went a couple months but failed after that. Sold the Acoustic. Would love to learn though even though i am nearly 53!

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Helps to have a good teacher mate...you're in the 'danger zone' after a few months when the realitys of learning an instrument set in.
    One good way, although takes a bit of discipline is to find 2 or 3 easy songs you like and want to learn (3 or 4 chord bashes)...learn them, then transpose them to every key. By the end of a year, you'll have learnt all the basic major and minor chords, can bash out your songs and entertain yourself and fiends and will have some decent muscle memory. Learning new songs will be pretty quick then :)

koolpc likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Can you type that in english now? Lol

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have you got a guitar Kools?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I used to have an acoustic plus i did have an electric for a very short time. So now, nothing. I am drawn to electric to learn.

6. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

What sort of budget would you be willing to invest?

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

With electrics you also need a good amp, otherwise you compound the **** factor. Classical/Spanish lends itself to finger picking, steel strung acoustics mainly to strumming and electrics to creating a sound.

I am just getting into using a semi hollow body, which is good enough for pub gigs.

koolpc likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It doesn't matter too much, but go with what you'd like. Plenty of starte guitar packages now that are reAsonably inexpensive. What I would advise though, is buying from a local music store as you'll get better after sales service even if it costs you a few quid more. Avoid places like 'cash converters' etc as you'll prob end up paying more for something 2nd hand.

koolpc likes this.
  9. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

American strat, Squier copy (not quite as good but surprisingly close!) Vox 10W practice amp, Carlsbro 100W amp, Yamaha F310 acoustic. I play (not very well) in a Shadows club. Hanks (mostly) simple melodies I find rewardnig to learn. I also play the keyboard for the orchestral parts of Shadows scores. All I can say to those who give up is "Don't". Keep at it - it WILL come.

CGN likes this.
  10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

found a short scale bass on ebay and its nice to play. a squier bronco bass with 30 inch fretboard. so its just about doable for easier bass patterns.
    i'd quite like to try a baritone guitar. which is a six stringer on a 30 inch fretboard, giving lower tuning ranges.

CGN likes this.
  11. P J Thompson

I wrote a new song about a bloke that's been backstabbing a mate for months. All played on my Mexican strat using a Marshall Code 50, A Zoom modeller and arranged in Cubase 7.
    Beware it contains a norty word...

12. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

You can't beat a bit of 12 bar blues - very nice!

P J Thompson likes this.
  13. P J Thompson

Cheers, I think there's more blues to come out of me :D

14. HouseE

HouseE New Member

I love playing the guitar but I just started learning so its going to take awhile for me to play really good.