Any handyman business owners here ?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by -Chris-, Jun 21, 2015.

1. -Chris-

-Chris- New Member

Have been doing handyman work for quite a while and know of two people that would like to join me. Do any others here have handymen working for them? How have you found it? Easy? Very difficult?

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am not a handyman business owner but was a qualified accountant working in practise and also had a spell in the construction industry and in what is now termed human resources in a payroll bureau so I do know about employing people particularly in the building industry.
    First of all do not employ anyone unless it is imperative to do so.
    Employees have expensive rights and you have to have a continuous supply of work to keep them going.
    I am not too conversant with the concept of handymen as I am at present refurbishing my whole house doing what I can myself and employing tradesmen where necessary. So I will be my own handyman I suppose.

I would have thought that if you want to expand it might be better to work in an unofficial association with these other two handymen who would be self employed as you presumably are. If it did not work out then you would not have any legal entanglements to un-entangle if you wanted to part company.

A successful working relationship would also depend on whether what you consider to be a handyman's skills coincide with what your potential co-workers consider to be their handyman skills and whether they are "grafters" or not.

I think it might be better if you stayed on your own and just worked in conjunction with the other two if you needed a hand now and again. This would presuppose that they were self- employed handymen also with their own customers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    FatHands likes this.