Any ideas

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparkielev, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Landlord rang me today, he got a house with students in, he pays electric bill on communal area, he tells me students have panel heaters on all day costing him a fortune, he not sure what he can do, I thought maybe install energy efficient heater like rointe heaters anybody have any better ideas thanks

2. nffc

nffc Active Member

PIR and contactors.

3. Sparkielev

House was refurbished a year ago can't really run in new supplies original heaters are plugged into ring main

4. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

5. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

ecoPANEL TM running cost as low as 2p an hour plugs in and can be painted Landlord I look after brought a few to install was amazed at how much heat they give out.

6. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Put the rent up,and tell them why,students have no sense of the cost of things,my mates daughter used to come home and leave lights on all over the house,have the heating on even when she wasn't in.She got her own place and when she got the first utility bills she went mental,now she only turns things on as and when needed,they've got to learn the value of a quid.

Neveryoumind and TP&N like this.
  8. Beefstu

Beefstu Member

Ask for a key meter to be put in sure they will start turning things off then.

9. Sparkielev

Each student has their own meter, communal and kitchen landlord pays for think eco heater is best option with danlers time switch, wouldn't surprise me if they were using extension leads from his supply to their rooms

philthespark, TP&N and leesparkykent like this.
  10. Sparkielev

Landlord not local to the house so he can't watch them

11. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

One of my mates lives in a flat and they have cleaners sockets in the communal area's,one tenant plugged into one and was using it to heat his flat,they stopped it by fitting keyswitch sockets,the cleaners turn them on and off as they need them.

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'm underwhelmed by the heat they put out in a room, but I guess in a hallway they would keep the chill off. That 2p you put in only comes out as 2p of heat.

Rointe IMO are an expensive waste of money. With electric heating it is largely true that what you put in comes out as heat.

As a student I'd have gone out and found a key to operate the cleaners socket if faced with that situation. But maybe not all are as resourceful as some others...