Anyone else had this problem with flexi connectors?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by teabreak, Mar 5, 2015.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi, I have changed my bath mixer it was a rigid connection but I used a couple of flexis, 22mm on the hot and 15mm on the cold.
    Now I have a sound when are taps operated, I had the floor up secured the pipework and stuffed in felt to pad joists, but same noise still.
    I think I have traced it to the 15mm flexi if you hold it you can feel the pipe bulge and stretch as the taps are operated the noise seems to be the inner rubber moving against the outer braid.
    I will go back to rigid connections but I wondered if this was a problem others had come across.

Flexi.JPG

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Hi Teabreak.
    I've never had a problem with flexi's maybe you have a dodgy one mate.;)

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

That's what I wondered :(

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The flexis look like wras approved.

i notice that one of the isolation valves is full bore, the other one isnt.

5. plumber-boy

Looks like your be getting the toolbox back out mate.:)

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes thev15mm is full bore the 22 is not, but it is off a combi so not a problem really.
    The flexi is WRAS from our hosts.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Which tap/mixer is it.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just turn the isolator valve fully open and the noise should go, I have the same problem, but my was caused by a micro bore tap being fitted on bathroom sink, it a pain in the bum because fully on is quite but to powerful and turn down a bit is noisey as hell. :mad:

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Tre Mercati Modena

[​IMG]

I know 1/4 turn are problematic but it seems to respond to all taps throughout the house.

I gave your idea a try Phil but still the same:(

I guess it's back to traditional plumbing, nice solid bit of copper tube! Not a difficult job as that flex is easy to get at, fingers crossed I don't think the 22mm one is playing up 'cos that is a Ba-Lamb to get reach!

Have the same set up on the downstairs bath with an even longer flex but that is fine:rolleyes:.

Thanks for your comments and advice guys:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sorted!:)

I ended up changing both flexis, I found the noise was from the push-fit connections on the ends of the connectors, when I removed them with a bit of pipe still connected you could hear a "creaking" noise from the plastic fittings as you pushed and pulled the pipe. A bit of a tweak with the spring and bender and after a few bits of skinned flesh on the darn fibre re-enforced bath, rigid connections made and all is better!:D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    plumber-boy likes this.
  11. plumber-boy

Top man teabreak.;)