Anyone fitted a Barrymatic Jamb Door Closer?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looked at the Perkomatic closer but they need to be 750mm from the floor, the door style would not allow this as lock rail is much higher than this.
    http://www.new-star.co.uk/our-produ...-adjustable-speed-hydraulic-jamb-door-closer/

[​IMG]

Looking to fit one of these in a Victorian style fire door, wanted something that was hidden an not look too commercial so overhead closers were out.

this is the door it will be fitted on, middle hinge was position away from the lock rail in anticipation of fitting the closer. Checked with manufacture who say it should be sited below the middle hinge and within 300mm.

upload_2017-4-14_9-8-38.png

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't want to wreck this up as door alone cost £468!

3. Surely right bang in the middle of that centre stile is ideal?

Are you putting the 'deep' part in the door or in the door frame?

(You could have fitted that centre hinge further down if you'd wanted to, but not to worry.)

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The deep part goes into the door, the depth of the whole unit is 170mm deep.

The middle hinge was centered between the top and bottom hinge.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've emailed the company to check the fitting instructs.

the instructions mention that a distance of 44mm should not be exceeded taken from center of closer.

upload_2017-4-14_10-11-16.png

This is the door with it open to nearly 180 degrees, there is a distance of15-16mm from door edge to frame. If I fit in accordance with the instructions would mean that the closer would be 2mm away from the door. (closer is 25.6mm wide).

[​IMG]

6. Working On It

Working On It Member

Jit, I don't like these at all, but if needs must. Wasn't you door swinging into the room, as these should only open 120 deg? and getting a latch every time, hit and miss....

WOI

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went into the ironmongery store today, and the guy showed me a cam closer, its still overhead. Looks a lot sleeker then the arm version.

Think i may go with this, it can be speced to on the pull or pull side.

the track arm fits on the door lining, which would mean the architrave will need cutting out to accept it.

Worried I could weaken the door if I went with the concealed closer and not sure on its reliability.

This is the door fitted now. Was a nightmare :mad: today went to put it on then was a lot of trouble closing it again. Had to plan of a a bit on the lock side. Still feel some reissiatnce when pushing it with the brush seals but think as they are new should wear in?

I think having a 5 degree angle on the leading edge helped it otherwise it hits the seal and restricts closing properly.

Other doors around the house have moved so had to adjust another today.

upload_2017-4-14_16-44-49.png

This is the one they showed me in the shop today. A bit easier to push as it complies with part M.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

you are right, the barrymatics only allow opening to 120 degrees, if they are opened further then it invalidates the guarantee.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I havn't heard anything back from them.

I think I will leave the concealed closer worried also I may weaken the door, especially because of the design.

I've ordered a pull side cam closer instead.

https://www.aldridgesecurity.co.uk/...-action-slide-track-overhead-door-closer.aspx

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've fitted the cam closer, will see If I can get a photo as will be visiting the house tommorw.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the door closer I fitted last week.

Template was provided in the box, but unable to see through and mark.

Messed up first time, as needed to provide clearance other side door wouldn't open and hit arm

upload_2017-5-1_19-53-56.png

Need to make sure that close and track is level and parallel.
    upload_2017-5-1_19-54-6.png

upload_2017-5-1_19-54-14.png

Will be fitting architrave later on, which need notching out.

Door seems to close ok, just needs some wearing in on the intrumescent brush strips.