Anyone got a bottle of x800 nearby?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Does brand-spanking new, unused, unopened factory sealed etc Sentinel x800 have a small hole in the cap - that also goes through the seal - as per the attached pictures?

Would anyone be so kind as to post a photo of the top of their bottles if it's convenient to do so?

Thanks very much,

whitling2k

117000_116066_84076_35157898.jpg 117000_116066_84075_73918669.jpg

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Whitling2k likes this.
  3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yea wadda know, i just went to my shed and found a bottle and yep, its gotta hole init, I don't buy this shoite by the way it got mixed up with a delivery i had a while ago and been in my shed ever since, :oops:
    the file won't load, its too big, hand on a mo i'll try photobucket.

Whitling2k likes this.
  4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

that bottles been in the shed for at least 3/5 years, so its not a new thing, :):)

Whitling2k likes this.
  6. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

wow - indeed - what do you know!!

The thing is - even if the holes are legit, the stuff inside is not going to help clean my system - it's orange with a slightly oily consistency; but what really roused my suspicions were the lumps, they look like coagulated chunks of sawdust.

What I'm trying to ascertain - have I been defrauded - i.e. the stuff replaced - or have I been sold old stock that's gone off.

If the former - I'll not be sending it back, but the latter - I'll sent it back.

The hole in the cap is maybe 1-2mm, but the hole in the actual seal is much much smaller - like the cap has been drilled and the seal has been syringed - it really is a pin-***** (a bit like the guy that sold it :rolleyes:)

From what I'm seeing on the internet it's the latter - I bet it's a pressure release type thing - the stuff's not fit for use either way so definitely wanting my money back!

thanks for all your help,

whitling2k

7. Here's a radical idea - only do this is you agree it might - just possibly - be a sensible thing to do. I mean, don't do this if you consider it a potential waste of time or resources. Don't consider it if you think it might have repercussions or might rebound on you in a hellish way.

Ok, here it is - email Sentinel and ask them.

Include the batch number.

8. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Cheeky you know what! Already have done - and not yet heard back!

I'm time bound, have 48 hrs to reply to Ebay with my intentions, so

1: forum posts/google images/email sentinel.
    2 walk to B&Q, peer through glass cabinet at lunch time

Hoping at least one of those avenues will help make the right decision about how much of a pain in the ar$e I should be to the seller!

Selling a bad batch is unlucky or stupid at worse, selling a fraudulent batch is just nasty.

9. Tee-hee, sorry, I couldn't help it... :oops:

What I'd suggest you do: report it now as a 'problem' with eBay, and in the spiel explain that you are not accusing the seller of anything at the moment, but have good reason to suspect you may have received a faulty product and are investigating this with the help of the manufacturer. Add that you had to submit this report because of the time constraint on submitting complaints.

That will buy you time - you can cancel that any time. I've had to do this myself once, when it was clear that the seller wouldn't be able to send a replacement product before the time limit was up - I just explained and apologised that I had to cover myself, and cancelled it afterwards with a 'seller has been very professional in resolving the issue' type splurg.

I wonder if your batch was affected by frost, for example? I know some liquid products go funny at low temps - they 'gel' and other stuff.

I have to say the stuff I used was pure liquid, tho' I can't recall much else about it - it was a fairly 'ordinary' and inoffensive liquid, no strong smells or anything.

When I used this stuff, I had warnings on here about not leaving it in my system for too long, with the suggestion that it could form a gel over time which might actually cause problems for me, rather than clean the system! Others replied that this only applied to earlier versions of X800 - that's why I suggested adding the batch number in the info to Sentinel.

(As it happens, I kept in there for months, and I can only praise its effectiveness - it saved me a few £100, no question.)

Of course I don't know how much of this info is accurate, but if anyone can give a definitive answer, it's surely the manufacturers...

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I always said these products are akin to snake oil, I wonder whats the purpose of the little hole? is a built in shelf life trigger? I can think of no other reason, I'm already convinced and have been for a long time these guys are making money from coloured water, I can just imagine at a board meeting the top boss sentinal bloke asking the board, " now c'mon who can think of a way of getting more money out of mugs?":rolleyes:

11. Mr Plum! Behave yourself!

You know perfectly well that I had a blocked exchanger - and my boiler was unwell too. And this snake oil cured us both.

So there.

Now, stand in the corner. No - face the corner. That's better.

12. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Many years ago, sometime in the late '90s I bought two cans of X400 to use in my heating system. I never got round to it so when I moved in 2006 the cans came with me. A few years later I came across them in the garage and wondered if they were still OK. So I emailed Sentinel and got a reply saying 'yes' as there is no expiry date on the product.

In about 2009 my MPV packed up, so I got it replaced and asked the engineer to add both cans of X400 to the system. It stayed in for another two years until the boiler was replaced. The water which came out was s black as soot. There's X100 in now with a TF1 filter, which gets cleaned at the annual service.

13. Sam, what's an MPV?

Anyways, no surprise your system was as black as you say - that's what the X400 does; remove sludged deposits and gets them into the water - so you can flush it out!

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

not quite Mr Devs, the black water is internal rust, outside rusty water is brown because air is present all day long outside, but in a system there is a quantity of air in the pipes,rads and the water itself then no more air enters so the corrosion stops there unless you keep draining down,
    the black treacle ( I'm sure ifyou can get black treacle down there) its like marmite anyrode its the realy messy gunge that gathers in the rads is the product of electrolisis,
    electrolisis is the action of water passing throu the differant metals ,steel,brass,stainless steel and copper it drags the iron out of the steel and covers the copper,it also drags the zinc of the brass too, inhibitor nuetralizes this action ( or so they say) and protects the rads.
    and that fluke with your heat exchanger was merely just that Mr Devs, it was like seeing a doc cos you've got flu, he gives you a paracetamol and the flu goes the day after, you credit the paracetamol with healing powers, you just caught it at the right time and the sludge had not baked on proper, if it had the x800 would not move it,

all reet I know, back in the corner, :(:(

15. :D

Och, I learned a lot from that post, Mr Plum.

But I still believe in the powers of the almighty. X800.

(Good point, tho' - the exchanger had only recently started to show symptoms, tho' it became progressively worse very quickly. The recovery was awesome, tho' - better in minutes.)

16. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Don't know why I wrote MPV. I meant MV (motorized valve)!!

17. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

OK Mr Plum, you can come out of the corner now.:D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. ...and have the teechur's job. :(

19. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

heard back from Sentinel now - and there should be a hole in the top... however the coagulated orange stuff does not sound like x800 - either very old stock, or counterfeit. either way - I want my money back!

20. That is when eBay works really well. You should have no problems at all.