Anyone know if this is a load bearing wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Brit, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Brit

Brit New Member

I’m in the process of widening our bungalow (1950's) hallway to make it rectangle rather than L shaped. This involves knocking down a solid wall and constructing a stud wall about 2.5 feet further away than the original. The original wall (red) is only built on floorboards and the ceiling joists run parallel with it, with one sitting directly along it. The orange part of the wall has a electric meter fitter so can't be removed until it's moved to the new wall.

I have two questions to put it to all the good folk here to see what comes back.

Question #1 Is the red wall load bearing?

Question #2 If the red wall is not load bearing, how about the orange bit? This part of the wall (2ft) isn’t built on floorboards.

remove.jpg
    Here is a picture of what it looks like in the loft...

RBM_0939_stitch.jpg
    I can take another picture of what the orange wall looks like in the loft if it helps?

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Rob

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Offhand I'd say the wall marked in red, isn't load bearing. Difficult to say about the small orange wall though.;);)

3. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks for your thoughts John. Those are my thought also but I’m not in the trade so hopefully someone with lots of knowledge on the subject will know.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What is the 2' section of wall built on, if not floorboards,I don't consider the red wall load bearing.

Brit likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above red not load bearing, orange unknown, but looking at the pic would also say not.

Brit likes this.
  6. Brit

Brit New Member

The section of orange coloured wall mentioned in question 2 appears to go all the way to the foundations.

7. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks Phil

8. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks to all that contributed to my original question regarding the wall being load-bearing or not. Being someone who always expects the worst I opted to take an inch of the top of the original wall and left it for a few hours. After noticing no movement I demolished the rest of it. Now I’m almost positive the orange part of the wall is load-bearing. What I would like to know is what sort of support can I put in place to bridge this 5ft gap so it can be demolished and still keep the ceiling flush?

Image below is distorted as joined many images together to get it all in.
    RBM_0967_stitch.jpg

Now this is the orange part of the wall which still remains
    DSCF2934.JPG

DSCF2933.JPG

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Difficult to say, might be load bearing,removing the plaster at top might tell you more.

10. Phil the Paver

Have a look through the hatch and see what's above it.

11. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks Kiab and Phil.

I’ve been in the loft again and taken this picture which shows what is above and near the wall I want to remove.
    DSCF2944_stitch.jpg
    Hope this helps?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's load bearing, it's picking up the end of the joists & double trimmer for loft opening.

You can see the joists are over lapping were you have orange lines marked in photo..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Brit likes this.
  13. Phil the Paver

Yes it's load bearing as KIAB says.

This is easily overcome by changing the double trimmer that runs in the same direction as the orange wall, extending it so it picks up on the section of wall not removed, then the two timbers that are across it now just need hanging off the new trimmer with a couple of joist hangers.

Brit and KIAB like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.:)

15. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Right, I think I've undertood what you both mean. I've quickly drawn a diagram on a photo taken of that area to see if I'm correct.

RBM_0992.jpg
    This I guess means I need to cut the double joists so they can hang from the new hanger? How far over the wall should the new double trimmer sit?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wouldn't do that myself, better to completely remove exsisting double trimmer & replace with new one, long enough to get to third double joist using a suitable hanger for it, then fix heavy duty face fix hangers eitherside of that to pick up each joist.

These, fixed with 'Sheradised Square Twist Nails 30mm'

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-twist-nails-sheradised-3-75-x-30mm-1kg-pack/12788

http://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/face-fix-hangers/39

The double joist hanger won't work, as you only have a offcut noggin from one joist.

Also you will need to support ceiling below both sides of the wall, as everything may/will drop when you cut through joists.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Brit likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cut on green line & use seperate joist hanger to pick each joist.

Attached Files:

18. Brit

Brit New Member

Thanks for your detailed reply and links.

Yeah, it was my understanding I needed to replace the entire double trimmer and insert a longer one. My diagram was a little misleading as the blue line under the hangers was not visible.

I forgot that once the joists are cut they will be offset to each other, and as you say, a double hanger wouldn’t work.

If I am understanding correctly the new layout should look like the new diagram.

complete.jpg
    A few questions remain if you’d be so kind as to answer.

#1 Do I put a third hanger at the end of the double trimmer where it meets the new joist (A)?

The new double trimmer will be sitting on a wooden plinth (which is on top of the wall in red) overlapping by about 130mm. Is this sufficient?

#3 I understand I need to support the underneath of both joists during this work, but do I need to do the same for the double trimmer?

Many thanks,

Rob

19. Phil the Paver

1. Yes it would be best.

2. Yes should be fine.

3. Again yes you should really just to be safe.

Brit likes this.
  20. Brit

Brit New Member

Great. Thanks for all the help.