anyone out there know the legal and safe distance between cooker and fridge freeze

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gatt, Feb 12, 2015.

?

safe distance between cooker and fridge freezer

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 10

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

What's the safe and legal distance between cookers and fridge freezers ?

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Is there one ?????????????

3. flateric

I don't think there is any legal requirement but common sense would be to put some distance between them or your fridge/ freezer will be on overtime ;)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

40 metres.

TartanPaint likes this.
  5. flateric

So next door but one

6. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Cheers for that mate

7. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

You should be on the telly Andy , next to the cooker lol

8. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Apparently to the person at howdens who designed ours, there is no distance, due to modern appliances and cabinets being so good at containing the heat, that it doesn't matter. Having said that that was for intergrated appliances. We have a oven tower next to our fridge freezer tower. But we have had to allow good ventilation obviously

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I believe you have to allow for saucepan handle overhang, something to do with safety but who knows.

10. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Cheers mate

11. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Thanks for that mate

12. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

If its a gas hob then it will provide you with the details for this. There are all-sorts of advisory regulations concerning kitchens and floor space is one of them. However, the vast majority of housing stock is old and comes complete with tiny kitchens.....you therefore have to work with the space you have applying common sense. Just watch out for gas regulations.

I got asked to install a gas tumble dryer into a small room next to a kitchen, after working out the free space in cubes the room was actually classed as a cupboard and therefore not suitable for a flue less appliance. The customer kicked off with me excusing me of being difficult and that this hadn't been explained by the company who sold him the appliance. Two weeks later I received a negative review and that the customer had got in touch with another installer who installed it in the cupboard.

So much for gas regulations?

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Negative review !!!!! And.

Clear conscience, priceless. :)

14. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Thank you, people don't understand that gas appliances need air to function. without complete combustion the by product is carbon monoxide. This is the reason you need an openable window or door for a gas hob/cooker, you can't rely on the user using common sense and thus its up to the installer to work to the regulations, however, unpalatable they are.

The amount of gas fires I used to go to that had unsealed builders openings and then you face angry landlords or home owners who always use the term "its always been serviced and we've never had a problem". In the end I stopped doing gas fires...too much hassle. CENWAT, COOKERS AND LAUNDRY ONLY NOW......

15. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Thanks for your post Dubsie , sorry to hear about the hassle you've had, but as Phil says, your conscience is clear