Approved document part E resistance to sound

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by captainchaos, Jul 19, 2011.

1. captainchaos

captainchaos New Member

In the document they refer to above floor sound proofing requiring 2 floating layers and a resilient layer.The floating layers should have a minimum  mass of 25kg/m2.. Also the resilient layerof mineral wool must havhttp://http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADE_2003.pdfe a mass of 60/100 Kgm3. Has anyone had any experience of this and what materials to use for the floating layer and resilient insulation. The minimum thickness for the floating layer is 8mm so I was thinking of using 8mm  ply as the floating layer.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Google Resillient Bars, installed them on all my ceilings but they can be used on stud walls as well.

Sounbloc plasterboard (usually Blue in colour) and weighs loads more than standard plasterboard, accoustic insulation and your away!  :)

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/resilientbar.htm

3. captainchaos

captainchaos New Member

Did it pass the sound ttest ? I need it to pass a sound test.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Didn't require a sound test, just did it because I wanted the extra suppression.

It's what is specified in multi-occupancy flats nowadays along with double boarding and sound insul layers.

If U need to pass a sound test then U need it speccing by an architect.

5. Stephen Young

Stephen Young New Member

Just picked this up so sorry if it is too late but might be of interest to others. I understand from captainchaos that he may want to convert an existing floor into a separating floor possibly for flats and often required as a change of use for the building. In this answer I will assume it is a timber joisted floor that is being converted because Resilient Bars were referred to earlier and these are usually screwed to the underside of the joists and as already correctly said, required to bring the ceiling into Part E compliance. Normally, two thicknesses of high density Soundbloc type plasterboard is screwed to the bars and for best results, I always use 15mm panels making the total thickness applied 30mm. Once the ceiling has been finished, DO NOT fit inset ceiling lights because these will reduce the acoustic efficiency of the soundproofed ceiling. If inset ceiling lights are required, they should be fitted into a separate, timber joisted suspended ceiling fitted after the main ceiling has been soundproofed as alrady described.

I find that 60 - 100kg3 of mineral wool between the joists is too high a density and for better results 40 - 60kg3 should be used and I find best results are obtained when I use 45kg3 which should be loosely installed and not jammed in. 100mm of this is all that is required. Any more will be a waste of money because it will not improve on performance.

Now for the floor. If the original floor is in good condition simply screw it down so that it does not squeak when walked on. Alternatively, replace the floorboards with moisture resistant tongue and grooved chipboard flooring or for enhanced soundproofing, use 18mm QuietBoard. Once the floor has been laid, overlay with 2mm of sound barrier mat which can be nailed or glued down if required. To meet Part E requirements for noise control through separating floors the sound insulation value for an upgraded existing floor is a minimum of 43dB for airborne sound and a maximum of 64dB for impact noise. The airborne noise is taken care of by the introduction of heavy sheets such as the plasterboard on the ceiling beneath, the floor along with the sound absorption achieved with the installation of mineral wool between the joists. To be beneath the maximum impact noise requirements, the floor and ceiling have to be decoupled and the ceiling has already been taken care of by using the Resilient Bars which as the name suggests, creates a resilient fixing for the plasterboard. The floor also has to be resiliently mounted (floating floor) and this is achieved by overlaying the sound barrier mat already put down with a resilient mat the new floor can be floated on. In my experience, one of the best mats for this is Acousticel R10, a 10mm resilient mat produced from recycled vehicle tyres which is laid wall to wall. Next put down the floating floor that must have tongue and grooved joints that have to be glued. No mechanical fixings whatsoever should be used. The floating floor can be 22mm flooring grade, moisture resistant chipboard or the more efficient QuietBoard as already mentioned. And that's it! As long as the floor has been correctly installed, it should now be ready for testing to prove Part E compliance but the testing has to be on the bare floor before any floor covering such as carpet of laminate floors are installed.

All of the products I have referred to in this reply are available from Sound Service who will deliver all over the country. More information can be seen on their web site www.soundservice.co.uk along with far better installation instructions than I have given here.

6. Jamie_89

Jamie_89 New Member

Typically the floor detail we would advise depends on the head height available. For the low profile floor resilient bars are great but are often installed incorrectly leading to sound insulation test failure upon completion.

If you have the head height available then you should install a suspended ceiling lined with 2 15mm sound block plasterboards

You would also need to install high density slab insulation within the joist 45kg/m3 or more.

Impact sound transmission also needs to be considered so the implementation of a floating floor or resilient matting is also important to pass. A dekfon 26t or iso rubber matting should be fine.

If your unsure contact an acoustic consultant

https://www.infinityacoustics.co.uk/