Approximate time/cost to paint 3 bed house

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Paul_fixit, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Paul_fixit

Paul_fixit New Member

Renovating a 1930s ex-council house to modern standards for the rental market.

How much should I budget for top to bottom painting? I want quality Dulux paint, washable vinyl and none of the thin rubbish.

7 doors and door-frames, 6 rooms plus stairs/landing. Wall paper is in good condition, frames painted to a good finish all done by my Dad in 70s/80s/90s. My rough guess is one man week more or less.

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

So you have a job to quote for and would like us to tell you how much to charge?

3. Paul_fixit

Paul_fixit New Member

No I inherited the house from my Dad and will become the landlord. So I'd like to know roughly how much the job will cost so that I can keep the total renovation costs under control.

I could pay family members to do painting. But professionals will be quicker and it's good to build up a relationship with them for a quick turnaround if tenants change.

Cheers
    Paul

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Surely it's better to get them round and quote for the job, after all they will be able to see what needs doing as opposed to us guessing.

Get 3 quotes and go with the one you feel confident in.

5. apl

apl Member

Your rough guess could be right. My rough guess would be about 5 to 8 days and the price about £1000 to £1500. Rough guess as I've not seen how much prep is involved and I don't know what sort of finish you require.

6. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

I have seen many landlords renovating their houses without a fix budget, which occurs due to poor management. It is nice to see that, you know what renovation you have to do. I would have hired a professional for this job. Sorry but I want to ask you that are you a DIY person?

7. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

To make your job easier I found out the exact quotation as 1200 bucks and the work would be completed in 6 days maximum. In my experience, many people try to renovate the rental property at a much lower cost. They look forward to get back there money from the deposit, which the tenant pays. To get more information regarding housing market navigate here.