Aqualux, Sapphire walk in shower tray - Levelling??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Banksie, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Banksie

Banksie New Member

My daughter bought the Aqualux, Sapphire, walk-in shower enclosure some time ago in preparation for re-modelling of her shower room. I am in the process of doing that at the moment.

Here is a link to the item. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/aqualux-sapphire-walk-in-shower-tray---1400-x-800mm-792426

The Sapphire tray utilises an embedded metal sub frame with adjustable feet. All well and good but, when the tray is in position on the floor, access to the feet to allow levelling adjustment is not possible as the tray plinth has no removable panels and goes right to the floor. Whilst it is possible to turn the tray over and adjust the feet so that they could be level with the shower plinth edge itself, this serves no purpose in achieving any sort of stability on an uneven floor when the tray is put in situ.

I did give thought to building a separate wooden plinth with a removable surround but the tray itself is already over 200mm high and any additional raised plinth would make the installation look unsightly and access to the feet would still not be easy, if possible at all.

Does anyone have experience of this shower tray or advice on the best method to adjust the feet to level the tray?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ah yes one of those looks great but cant do a thing with them bathroom products. Cant even think how the hell your going to connect the waste let alone level it.
    Give homebase a call and ask for technical assistance.

3. Banksie

Banksie New Member

Hi Dave Does Gas. Yep you are right. I tried Homebase who told me to ask Aqualux (I had tried twice with no response, but Homebase email got me a reply). Here it is - this is the manufacturer remember.
    "Hi . No easy way to level it, wind middle leg up out of the way, maybe find a room where you can get space yo pre level it before putting into final position. Then level front legs first then back legs, place into position, see if it rocks or is level. Pullout and adjust till ok, drop middle leg down just shy of level with other legs. Try in. Lots of in/out."

Now, what would be the point of prelevelling somewhere else? Ludicrous advice. Just a poor design. I will perservere and get it done. Even given thought to screwing a sub-base of waterproof board onto the legs and bedding in cement. Oh, the instructions say you should site the shower on a pre-tiled floor! How do you access the drain if the floor has been tiled? I wish my daughter had spoken to me first. If she'd bought a shower with a drain in the rear corner I could have accessed the drain from the hall outside (downstairs shower room by the way with a low solum.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Thats why I prefer the good old Mira flight trays with a riser kit, you can access everything from the front and refit bthe panel when your done.