Ar compressor, CFM and all that....

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jflowers123, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Jflowers123

Jflowers123 New Member

Hi, im a self employed furniture painter.

I've switched to using HVLP however, its a 6 cfm compressor wth 1.5 hp. The spray gun doesn't spray paint as quick as i hoped, and the compressor is constantly on because once its full of air it only takes 30 seconds using the spray gun, for the compressor to fire up.

Problem with that is the air compressor is in a sound proof box which is over heating badly.

Pointers i need answering:

Is my compressor just **** being only 6 cfm (the air gun came with it)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8...pressor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-240v/48089

Ideas on how to keep my sound box cool

And anything else i need to know :)

A quick reply would be great as my business is at a halt at the moment.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is not designed to be stuff in a box, it need a well ventilated space, it's a air cool. probably got no fan to assist.
    A 24ltr tank isn't much storage for air, as you found your compressor is constantly cycling, you should be looking at 50ltrs minimum I would think.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I used to use a variety of air tools and one thing i discovered was that a lot of the quotes for things like cfm and all that was it was very under rated! the only advice i can offer is to get the biggest compressor you can afford because even thou things quoted may work (loose definition), it might not be ideal and if you are painting you don't want to have to wait for the compressor to build up - you want to keep going.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    CGN likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is there pressure regulator on the compressor ,so you can controlled air pressure?
    Might help a bit.

I had a Clarke compressor rated at 15 cfm & a 50 ltr tank.

Some makers cfm figures seem to be over inflated Fats.:D

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cfm is exaggerated in the same way as Watts in musical equipment. FAD (free air delivery) is a better indication but is seldom quoted.

I used to have 3 compressors piped together at home to get enough air to use a DA sander...worked too! :)

6. Jflowers123

Jflowers123 New Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!:eek: Wagner XVLP 3500 :eek:

That's one of the best all in one HVLP sprayers availble, super kit.:cool:

8. Jflowers123

Jflowers123 New Member

^^ it is :p