Ardex AM100

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by marvin molar, May 8, 2016.

1. marvin molar

marvin molar New Member

Afternoon to you all

I'm going to use Ardex AM100 to build up uneven patches on a wall before tiling.

The wall to be tiled is part plasterboard and part brick (the wall was extended when the flat was converted years ago in case you're wondering why the mix).

I've stripped the artex off back to the plasterboard/brick.

Do I need to prime the wall before applying the Ardex? Also do I then need to prime over the ardex before applying tile adhesive?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to you all.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Never used Ardex, but prob a good idea to prime with Sbr. If it's particularly uneven, might be better to dot and dab on new PB. Tubbed adhesive generally doesn't need a primer as it's built in, but if you're fitting large format tiles then you'll need to use bagged adhesive which will require a primer. What size and type of tiles, ceramic/porcelain etc are you fitting and we'll be able to help a bit more :)

3. marvin molar

marvin molar New Member

Thanks for the reply CGN.

Tiles are 150mm x 150mm ceramic tiles. 4mm thick.

The wall isn't uneven enough to need PB. Just needs bringing to level in a couple of (largeish) places where the brickwork meets the stud wall. These differences were previously hidden by the artex.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ah, ok. Yes, get it as flat as you can then....makes life easier. I generally use rapid set bagged adhesive, but Whatever you use, follow the manufacturers instructions and you'll be fine. :)

5. marvin molar

marvin molar New Member

Smashing. Thanks for the advice CGN.

All the best

CGN likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No probs. Can't say I've helped much, so just take your time and be methodical. Good luck :)