are these tile battens ok

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ramsat, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ramsat

ramsat Member

[​IMG]

johns1999

[​IMG]
    hi

my carpenter has installed my tile and battens on my hipped roof extension ready for me to tile it. i'm using valley tiles and granny bonnets.

the tile battens don't seem to be in line, as i'm using granny bonnets would that be ok or cause a problem as they seem to be out by quite a bit? see photo

also the new battens don't match the height of the existing roof battens. should these be the same height? see other photo

he says you won't notice it once its tiled but i'm not so sure.

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      415.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      490.2 KB
      Views:
  2. That is terrible,you want the battens to line up for the tiles and bonnets to fit.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As Deleted member 11267 has already said! :(

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This is a joke isn't it, if it isn't it should be.:p:p:p:p

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Right bodge,Deleted member 11267 is spot on, you will have no end of problems.:(

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

When I had my roof done, the manufacturer/designer called in and talked it through with chippy. They suggested they did that to stop any problems. The chippy was reluctant and a bit off about it? Strange that. Anyway, he said after it was a good job they came. Maybe you should do same. Have a site meeting to walk through the problems and get back on track.

7. The battens also need to line up if you are using valley tiles, and from the photo it does not look like they are.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like this.

upload_2017-6-17_21-20-52.jpeg

9. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

A "carpenter" did that??? Aside from the shonky alignment, he's right royally butchered the battens :(

10. No that is not the setting out for 10x6 valley tiles.
    That looks like a hip for some other type of tile.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just used it as an example.

upload_2017-6-17_22-49-48.png

12. ramsat

ramsat Member

thanks for the advice. if he has to rebatten it, does he need to relay it again with new felt? i'm assuming you do

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Completely replaced, most likely have to be new batten as well.

Had roof done here last year, roofer used ring shank nails to secure batten,would have been almost impossible to remove them, if they had to be removed.:rolleyes:

Jitender likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would also fit "valley boards". This will give something solid to fix the felt to and also support the ends of the battens. Even with valley tiles, I run an additional length of water proof material or felt along the valley boards just in case.

You may also want to consider where you are going to match the old tiles and new ones, try and keep one colour to one side - even if it may mean stripping some existing tiles so they match. It will look a lot better if it is all consistent

Jitender likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like clipped nails possibly from nail gun. Galvanised ring shank is what roofer used here some years ago on roof at old house.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most larger gauge nail guns use ringed galv nails. It will be a problem removing them as most roof battens aren't the best timber and as soon as you start prying them lose they will normally snap.

18. ramsat

ramsat Member

Yeah I need to have a count up to see what I've got and work out where best to put the old ones but thanks I will keep them to just one of the sides

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The roofer used a paslode gun.

Batten widths shouldn't be a problem. Just need to be set at the same laps as the 'plain tiles' used have nibs which hook over the edge before being nailed.

20. ramsat

ramsat Member

They're not ring shank as I bought them for him. They're just 63mm galv wires. But yes from a nail gun.