Asbestos broken aib board in new rental property

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Nikki2906, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

Hello I am really needing some help and advice I moved into a privately rented property on Friday which is managed by a letting agent . Due to the bad weather we piled lots of furniture and belongings into the garage and then brought them into the house bit by bit when the weather eased off . Huge problem I was not aware that there is a badly broken piece of aib leant up in the garage I didn't have a clue what it was . Myself my five year old daughter and her dad and the removal company have been in and out of the garage opening and closing the door . Ive contacted the letting agent but I'm really worried at how much we've been exposed and also bringing furniture toys and possessions out of the garage and into the house is that likely to be contaminated with asbestos .
    The asbestos had been broken in the garage so is it likely the particles would of settled on the floor and opening the garage door will of disturbed them ?
    Any advice gratefully received as the letting agents are not taking this seriously

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Perhaps the local council environmental health department might be your first point of call.
    As an ex landlord I was very aware of asbestos risk and had any suspect material checked out before letting, I certainly would not leave broken bits lying around.
    Are you sure it's AIB, who confirmed it? A picture might help a bit.

Nikki2906 likes this.
  3. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

IMG_7271.JPG
    Not sure if this photo has uploaded I've had somebody out who's a friend but works as an asbestos supervisor . The landlord has admitted to the agent she knew it was there but was told by somebody it was safe as it wasn't broken . It was broken when I moved in on Friday and the landlord won't pay for testing to confirm it's asbestos

4. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

The letting agents had no keys for the garage until the day we moved in as the landlady lives in South Africa . So the property has been let without anybody checking the garage was safe

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Well it is not too badly smashed as you can see a lot of the fibres are still attached and poking out of the edges. But if your friend is an asbestos supervisor he will be more qualified to comment than me.
    At first glance I would have thought it looks rather more like Asbestos Cement because of the dimpled finish (usually dimpled one side and smooth the other) AIB I have seen tends to be a bit thicker but that's only my opinion.
    AC is less of a risk than AIB as it has a lower content and is less friable.
    I would go with my first suggestion and get the environmental health people involved in conjunction with the housing dept, even if your landlord is private they still have to abide by certain rules which the housing officer wil be aware of.
    Good luck, please say how you get on.

Nikki2906 likes this.
  6. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

Thank you for your advice the property is privately rented through a letting agent . The gentleman who's an asbestos supervisor has said it's aib board but fingers and toes crossed it's not . I'm worried as we've been in and out opening the garage door which may of disturbed fibres on the floor and bringing furniture and toys into the house from the garage my five year old daughters been in there with me so im panicking like mad. I will contact environmental health in the morning

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

The duty holder is who needs to deal with it, ie the Landlord. Other info on my response to the other thread you started is the best way forward.

Nikki2906 likes this.
  8. Why could your mate who is an Asbestos Supervisor not disposed of it for you.Council recycleing centres will normally take a certain amount of Asbestos, if properly bagged or wrapped up securely in polythene.
    Alternatively he could have taken it to his own disposal facility.

9. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

The property is rented not my own and we only moved in to it on Friday , my friend nipped round after work as I had sent him photos and was worried . If it hadn't of been broken he would of bagged it and taken it away to dispose of correctly but as it's clearly been damaged in the garage , smaller broken bits all over the floor at the other end in the stone it's not just a case of taking it away the garage could need environmentally cleaning or Reassurance testing but until the asbestos has been tested and we know for certain exactly what it is it can't be disposed of in the correct way

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Environmental Health will carry out an air quality check to see how many if any ppm (parts per million) are floating about but do not over worry it probably is well below the safety levels. The landlord and the letting agent both have a 'duty of care' and this should have been double polythene bagged up and disposed of professionally prior to letting out the property. Someone will get a slapped wrist over this and it won't be you.

Nikki2906 likes this.
  11. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

I have been into the letting agents today and they contacted the landlady in South Africa who said it's been in there ages and she was told it's fine unless it got damaged which it was when we started moving in . She didn't supply the letting agent with a key for the garage until the day I moved in so they have not included it in the inventory and she has refused to pay for testing till she's got legal advice and the letting agent said they can't do anything till they get her permission . The property was previously rented out and privately managed by the landlords family with the asbestos in the garage . I am going to phone and arrange to get it tested myself as I'm understandably very worried and upset at the landlords response over something potentially so serious .
    Not sure why this is running on 2 threads I did delete the first one I posted and tried to post it in the forum where most questions about asbestos were being answered

12. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

Had the testing done today and it's very bad as the whole ceiling is aib in a crumbling state as well as the broken piece on the floor that she apparently forgot to get removed before we moved in the advice is immediate removal .
    Ive had to pay for the testing as the landlady told the letting agent she wouldn't pay for the asbestos to be tested as she knew it was asbestos and doesn't need a test to tell her that .
    I'm in total shock at her attitude when we've been exposed unknowingly to such a health hazard . Waiting for her response now the tests have been carried out

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Shocking attitude from your landlord, have you spoken to the local authority?

14. Nikki2906

Nikki2906 New Member

I know I'm appalled at her attitude apparently she has now said that the asbestos was on the survey when she bought the house . It must of been in a lot better condition than it is now , she never mentioned it to the letting agent or myself and the agent didn't have a key for the garage till the day I moved in so they've never been in it .
    I'm going to phone the council and hse tomorrow . I will by then have the hard copy of all the test results to send them copies of if required

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Please let us know how you get on.
    Best wishes,
    teabreak