Asbestos? help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bassist9, Apr 5, 2015.

1. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

Hi,

I'm quite concerned just taken a panel out from above the cooker in the kitchen as I'm fitting a new kitchen soon, cut a long story short was until I removed it that I noticed lots of fibres sticking out the ends of the board. I thought it look very much like plaster board but then noticed the fibres after, here is a picture of the front of the board. I have read that asbestos fibres are tiny and can't be seen then I thought it could be fibreglass plaster board. Any advice would be great.

[​IMG]

https://flic.kr/p/rXTGSb

2. Looks like fibreglass in there to me but dont take my word for it, Asbestos is generally alright unless its disturbed (smashed cut etc) and even then it wont bother you for years if at all , if your going to disturb it wear a mask or damp it down or both then the fibres wont go into your lungs :)

3. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

I cut into with it a knife when removing used a load of PVA to seal it when I noticed it and instantly put a p3 paper mask on I know they ain't great but better than nothing. Then cleaned up there whole area with washing up liquid , water and rags used It in a spray gun. Going to clean again soon kitchen is off limits at the mo, just wish I noticed the fibres earlier.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like woodchip wallpaper!

5. Funniest looking woodchip ive ever seen id still bet on fiberglass

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  6. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

Its defiantly plasterboard with fibres in thats the image of one side which has a pattern on the other side is smooth. Just concerned it could be asbestos.

7. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

Do fire rated plaster boards have fibreglass in them?

8. Yeah they do, just realised you said this was above the cooker im even more certain itll be fibreglass, what are your plans for it?

9. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

I have double bagged it, I have a contractor coming soon as they are removing the garage from the bottom of the garden as it is made of asbestos panels and corrugated roof. Going to ask for there advice and get it tested

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  10. Youve already removed it? sorry really didnt read the first post that well hahahaha yeah just wrap it up and chuck it in the garage thats coming down and get them to throw it in the asbestos skip when they demolish it :)

11. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

Yeh didn't realise, I read fire rated plaster board is coloured. This isn't coloured at all, so am a bit confused. Will do I just hope it isn't asbestos exposure is deadly and that's my concern

12. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

I would of left it in situ & then asked the contractors advice, I hope you was able to remove it in one peace & or you wetted it down before removal ??

For those that are concerned about Asbestos there is an Android Asbestos Awareness App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.co.e_learningwmb.asbestos_awareness

It explains a great deal with all the latest up to date information

13. i wouldnt worry about asbestos from one board in the kitchen my old man was a sparky for many years before they realised what the stuff does and has inhaled a fair bit in his time and touch wood hes not had any trouble so far so i think youll be safe,
    Yeah i think he pulled it down before he realised what it was welsh :)

14. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

I did wet when I noticed the fibres and tried to clean the area the best I could.

15. Welshdragon1

It takes between 15 - 60 years before it rears its head & give health problems tbh, then in a lot of cases it is hard to be exactly diagnosed as asbestos related :(, I always say if in doubt get it tested for piece of mind & better to be safe now than sorry later

16. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

Tbh I'm mega worried about it :(

17. Welshdragon1

As you wet it down/used a mask, that would of minimised the exposure to virtually Zero if not Zero tbh

Then you Double bagged it, that is as per requirements anyway :)

Your going to ask the contractors advice as soon as they get there & will have it tested (they will / should be able to recognise what it is by experience), if not then your having it tested will prove definitive either way

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm 52, when I was 18 the company I worked for took down an old workshop/factory, the roof was asbestos sheets, not knowing any better we where throwing them down to the ground where they were breaking it to little pieces, the dust was horrendous, I'm still here and am not bothered by it one bit.

It also explodes if you put it on a fire, oh the fun we had with that, well until the police arrived to see what the hell was going on. :p:p:p:p

19. Welshdragon1

That was approx 34 years ago, with at least 26 years to go, before it is likely to show up, then you'l have have fun (NOT),

What some used to do has proven, that H&SE needed to be brought in due to the Noggin(s) not being used, back in the day & also not being used in current times

20. bassist9

bassist9 New Member

I hear allot about exposure my dad once told me he used to cut boards up with saws when he was younger thinking about it now that seems crazy.