Asbestos Identification

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wevcore, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
?

Is it asbestos?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wevcore

wevcore New Member

Hello,

I've just moved into a new house and I'm suspicious of the boarding on the ceiling of the garage.

Can anybody help identify if this is asbestos boarding, or a harmless alternative that I can take down?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin 20160622_162733.jpg 20160622_162701.jpg 20160622_162636.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be, but it doesn't have the fibre you see with abestos board like Asbestolux.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Certainly looks suspicious, I would treat it with caution, hard to be sure from a picture but I would lean more towards AIB than AC, which is not good news.
    Does the back have a smooth or dimpled surface? A mirror should let you see without disturbing it.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yo can get a sample tested, bought a kit from ebay a few years ago for £30-40, they send you all the packaging (sometime gloves, and overalls) to send it in then results are sent to you.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd be 98% sure that That's AIB. That area needs sealed off and you need to get it tested.
    It's been busted to pieces meaning the area will require environmental cleaning.
    Do not use your vacuum cleaner on it, get a local surveyor to take a sample and then get it remediated professionally.

I take it you damaged it through work's?

Ps, bag up the clothes your were wearing and have them disposed upon confirmation.

6. wevcore

wevcore New Member

Thanks for the replies everybody. I should have said the house was built in 1970 and the garage is integral - the living room is above the garage.

I've looked above the boards and it's hard to tell if it's dust or dimpled, pictures attached.

I didn't damage the board, we moved in last week and it was already like that. The garage is really clean (obviously not asbestos clean, but there aren't chunks of board lying around). It's also quite drafty, so here's hoping it's been like that for years and any stray fibre's have blown away?!

I'm going to phone some companies tomorrow and see what they think.

Thanks for your input :)

20160626_185334.jpg
    20160626_185406.jpg

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If its AIB will be expensive to remove, did the surveyor pick this up?

I was quoted £3000+VAT to remove and dispose of 12m2 of AIB which included air testing and certificate of reoccupation. Also the co would need to notify HSE 14 days prior to works.

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Looks more like aib AC has a regular pattern of dimples about 3mm across in size.

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

99.5% sure it's AIB. Keep out ... Check your house insurance policy to see what it does in respect of asbestos or hazardous materials etc.

To remove that it needs to be done in a negative pressure tent, the licensed removers will need a decon unit on site etc

I've sampled an enormous amount of ACMs and that looks like the real McCoy

10. roughberty

roughberty Member

Just a few years ago (2005?) you could bag it up and take it to the tip yourself, up to half a ton I think. Maybe the regs have changed since, seldom meet the stuff these days - we used to make chicken houses out of it in the 1960s and saw sheets of it down to make soffit covers which nailed up nicely over old rotten wood - yes, I started working for a cowboy builder. Yee Ha!

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My local tip does accept asbestos but only in small quantities, they accept upto 3 pieces a month of sizes 20cm high x 150cmwide x 180cm length. The figures dont make sense, as this amount to quite a large volume.

But does mention that they should be double wrapped in heavy gauge polythene.

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As a rule most council tips will only take AC.

13. wevcore

wevcore New Member

Just a follow up in case anyone finds this post in the future and finds it useful:

It has been confirmed it's AIB and I've been quoted £1800+vat to remove it for an area roughly 18sq m

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the update, sorry it was bad news.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That doesn't deem a bad price, considering other quotes I had for 1/3 smaller area.