Asbestos Pipe Lagging?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by tshirttan408, May 9, 2017.

1. tshirttan408

tshirttan408 New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forums here! I've just moved into a pretty old house, and have a bit of a fear of asbestos. I spotted under our bathroom sink some suspicious looking material on one of the pipes, so just a little concerned it may be asbestos lagging. I'd really appreciate it if I could get any feedback on the likelihood. I'm pretty sure it's just expanding foam but wanted a second opinion.

549587422e60bb8122943dbd4c979a711945d90089b2550c5061bb814c8f619bea7c06389f61196d3193c70f.jpg

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hard to say as your photo will not enlarge from the thumbnail size.
    Does look like sprayed foam though from what I can see, asbestos would be easy to crumble a bit like soft plaster, only the outer skin of asbestos lagging would be smooth. Sprayed foam will have a smooth outer even where little bits are sprayed and bubbles in broken areas.
    upload_2017-5-9_13-47-54.jpeg This would be a typical asbestos pipe lagging, also very rare to find asbestos pipe lagging in domestic buildings (unless the owner worked in an asbestos factory and nicked it!)

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

That's odd my image will not enlarge either perhaps the gremlins are about today!;)

4. tshirttan408

tshirttan408 New Member

5. tshirttan408

tshirttan408 New Member

Hopefully this is easier to see, I really appreciate the insight!

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes looks like foam to me, if there is an odd loose bit you could put a flame to it (outside in case it creates fumes) chances are it will burn or melt, neither of which asbestos will do;)

7. tshirttan408

tshirttan408 New Member

Thanks I've got a feeling it's covering the waste pipe or something like that Sink 2.jpg
    I was just really worried about asbestos in general so coming across this got me in a bit of a panic

8. Working On It

Working On It Member

It's defo not lagging, but does look like Foam as 'Teabreak', has said.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Might well have been squirted in to stop draughts or ants/slugs coming in through a gap.
    Looks pretty damp in there.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's foam from a can as already said. Harmless

11. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

The surface is foam, 100%. When sampling pipe insulation a full depth core is taken as things like this get re-lagged so taking a core will give the answer.

12. lewis jackson

lewis jackson New Member

need to do this asbestos training still so cant comment

13. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Have you touched it ? Feeling is often better than looking, even Asbo won't poison you with a touch. Pictures suggest foam, but a hell of alot. Get a stanley blade and see if it slices. P.S. Asbestosis is a problem for those who manufactured or broke it up. Asbo itself isn't a major risk until the dust is released, or we need to replace half the garage roofs in Britain :)