Attaching a fence to the top of a wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ns007, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ns007

ns007 New Member

Hi, hope this is in the right section. I am building a 5' closeboard fence on top of a small garden wall, using 4x4 posts. I've got some bolt-down post holders to fix on to the top of the wall but I am not sure what size / type of fixings to use. I've been looking at different types of anchor bolt but my knowledge in this area is limited! any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you measure the dia of the holes in the post holder that will give you the dia of the anchor bolt and you probably need to go into the wall about 6".

If you are going to be drilling close to the edge you may be better resin fixing a stainless steel stud or using a multimondo.

3. nigel

nigel Guest

Unless the wall is wider than a brick length the fixing holes will be close to the edge and risk breaking out and damaging the top of the wall, I would run the post up from base of wall with a halving joint run up to the top of the wall allowing fixing to the side of the wall.
    In my opinoion would also look neater than a fence perched on top of wall.

4. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

Chembolts and stainless steel studding, works every time

5. s.bury

s.bury Member

The top course could/ will fall off during drilling or the first high winds/storm...needs to be on posts from the ground next to the wall.

6. bigjules

bigjules New Member

The top course could/ will fall off during drilling or the first high winds/storm...needs to be on posts from the ground next to the wall.

Rubbish!!

Did exactly this 7 years ago - 3' fence on top of 3' wall, M10 studs, resin anchors and bolt down metposts - not fallen off yet in the face of prevailing easterly winds!