Attaching boss connector/fall of waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by FatHands, Aug 15, 2014.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Afternoon,
    I am getting my small downstairs bathroom done this weekend so i can go back and work on the first floor one :eek:

I planned to put the waste from the sink down the soil pipe using a mechanical boss connector (or should i use a strap on one?)

My questions are:

What fall should i have on the pipe? In simple Fats terms, how much higher should the pipe be at the first right angle from the straight down bit from the plug to the soil pipe connector? The run of 40mm waste will be about 2 metres from the plug on the sink to the soil connector.

I guess the connector has to go smack on in the middle of the pipe like in my drawing?

Thanks for reading and continued help.
    Fats

pan connector.jpg downstairs_bog_waste_run.jpg

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Hi Fats.
    I prefer the strap on boss myself but you can get a pan connector with a boss connection if that's easier;)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There won't be enough space to put in a strap on boss or mechanical boss connector with the diagram you have show.
    So there are 2 other options (1 already mentioned above):

1) http://www.toolstation.com/shop/WC+Connector+Inc+Pipe+Boss/p44937

[​IMG]

2) http://www.screwfix.com/p/92-5-87-5-branch-grey-sp190/12454

[​IMG]

The small spigot on the side can be drilled using a 50mm holesaw drill, then a rubber boss can be inserted into this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-boss-adaptor-32mm-pack-of-5/41571
    [​IMG]
    The top can be blanked off using a socket plug.

[​IMG]

Also use a swept bend in the corner, rather than a 90° bend. 32mm pipe serving the wash basing is more than adequate rather than using 40mm pipe.

[​IMG]
    Fall

A fall of 1:40 which equates to 25mm/meter is normally used.

FatHands likes this.
  4. plumberboy

Your very thorough JG.;)

FatHands likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And that's what we all like imho,No flaw, Honest answer.
    I'm on the iPod therefore I don't do smilies!.

FatHands likes this.
  6. plumberboy

:):):):):):):):):):)Here have some of mine.:p

FatHands likes this.
  7. FatHands

Morning chaps.
    Many thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in replying.
    I'll go for the pan connector with the boss attached that Jit has linked to as its far easier than faffing around with strap-ons!
    Screwfix dont sell them for some reason?!
    Thanks for all the help.
    Best Fats

plumberboy likes this.
  8. FatHands

Guys,
    Just wanted to post back to say thanks for all the help (and everything else you've helped me with) with this. Got the toilet in today and used the pan connector with built in outlet Jit linked to from Toolstation. Worked a treat, thanks!

Only question left on this is if there is any special sockets, tools available to tighten up the syphon assembly (plastic) nut up. Can't fit it before the cistern assembly as it covers the screw hole which attaches it to the wall. Really awkward from underneath due to shape of toilet! Guess i'll have the same agro with the flexi to it!

Cheers
    Fats

P.s if you are feeling really generous, i've posted again about my sink with no instructions here!