Attaching grab handle to UPVC porch

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TimH_, Apr 12, 2014.

1. TimH_

TimH_ New Member

I've been asked by the inlaws to attach a grab handle to their front porch to help them up and down the step.

The porch is UPVC so the handle would need to be attached to the main upright - I've not checked to see if it has a metal insert but, even so, I am inclined to think this is a bad idea? I don't think I could attach the handle firmly enough to cope with full body weight, should that situation arise?

But before I look in to rails that would be mounted to the concrete path/step, I though I'd ask here in case something like a spring toggle would, actually, be firm enough? Or maybe there's a fixing designed especially for this sort of thing?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would have thought the aluminum post in the main upright would be strong enough, if you think about it, the frames strong enough for the heavy door to hang off and be swung backward and forwards many hundreds of times.:)

3. TimH_

TimH_ New Member

Good point...but these are sliding doors, which I should have mentioned. The lock side is in the upright I need to attach to, if relevant. I'll get a stud/metal detector on it to make sure it does have metal in it (I'm sure it does, in order to support the porch roof).

4. Phil the Paver

It almost certainly will, as you say to support the roof, what type of handrail are you thinking of.

5. TimH_

TimH_ New Member

It's a grab handle my father-in-law has already purchased. It's made by "Gordon Ellis", and is about 400mm tall, and has 4 fixing holes - two top and two bottom - made of some kind of plastic/resin. Seems sturdy enough.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would consider going all the way through with long bolt.

If just fixed to the front, when pulled on may introduce a lot of twist to the frame.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Phil the Paver

8. Phil the Paver

How?? A door doesn't and they are not fixed right through.;)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

When does a door get pulled in any way as to twist a frame?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. TimH_

TimH_ New Member

My concern isn't twisting the frame as I doubt that will happen - more a concern that the handle pulls away from the frame due to the fixings failing causing in-laws to crash to the ground. I'm actually rather fond of them lol.

11. Phil the Paver

Those screws I listed are what's use for door hinges, so I think they will be fine for you.

12. TimH_

TimH_ New Member

Those screws look the part...guess, um, Screwfix don't do them then ;)