attaching sole plate to dwarf wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by imcalledal, Jul 3, 2015.

1. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Hi All,

Building a cart lodge and trying to work out best way to attach sole plate to dwarf wall.
    Specs say i need to resin bond bolts in but as the stud work is all going to be visible internally I'm wondering what i can use which looks nicer or can be hidden. Any tips?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Personally I would cut bolts short , counterbore holes bolt up nuts install wooden plugs, clean up jobs a goodan!

3. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

yes i could do that, my worry is hitting them with fixings when the uprights are being installed. I was just going to skew nail or screw the uprights in - i guess i would just need to be a little more careful?

How often would you bolt the sole plate? every 600?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

if there are on show you need to be more than a little careful, don't want horrible screws nails on show to much.

5. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

i thought that myself. I was tempted to build the walls and then lift onto wall as i could hide the screws by screwing from underneath and into the uprights, but then that leaves the bolts having to be on show as they couldn't be hidden anywhere.

6. Phil the Paver

The upright spacing will determine the bolt spacing, upright normally at 400mm centers so every other one should do, after all the bolts are only stopping it sliding out sideways.

7. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Thats exactly right. Okay great.
    So i was just planning on using some threaded rod with nut and washer resin bonded into brick dwarf wall. Sound okay or is there a easier bolt combo (they have to be resin set due to specs)

8. Phil the Paver

Must admit I've never been asked to resin down a sole plate before, normal just use thunder bolts.

THUNDERBOLT-228x228-500x500.jpg

imcalledal likes this.
  9. Kites24

Kites24 New Member

Hi I've fitted a radiator today there's no leak water coming out of overflow pipe and pressure dropping HELP

10. Phil the Paver

you need to start a new post in the plumbing section.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I reckon those Thunderbolts are brill & never use anything else nowadays. :)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I reckon put bolts/coach screws in bottom of plate, drill a hole in wall for bolts to sit, fill with resin and plop the sole plate down, bolts with heads in holes.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. malkie129

Well,I've said before....You can always rely on Handy to give us a laugh. :D

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It is past chucking out time :p:p

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and the problem is?

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're not making any sense.

17. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

18. malkie129

I use the name thunderbolts as a generic term. Different suppliers use different manufacturers, but they're all much the same. :)

19. Phil the Paver

As Malkie says, the name Thunder bolt is a bit like Hoover, it just a brand name for a similar product.

20. Phil the Paver

Wonder what happened to my 1st post on the thread?????