Auger or Flat Drill Bits???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rods16, Feb 26, 2008.

1. rods16

rods16 New Member

I am looking to purchase a set of drill bits for wood, DIY use - fitting door furniture etc etc. Just wondered what the difference is between Auger bits and Flat bits (other that the looks obviously). Is one type better for certain jobs than the other.
    Any info to help me choose much appreciated.

2. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

i prefer auger bits mate for projects like drilling locks ie. mortice and yale locks etc.i always find auger gives you a cleaner cut aswell, i use to use flat bits few years back they were ok for doing the same sort of things, but for precision and accuracy i stick to the augers now and anytime they get a it blunt u can easy sharpen them..where as if i had blunt flat bits id chuck em straight out and buy a new one, coz they were cheap.im an auger man.

3. murrmac

murrmac Member

I agree that auger bits are preferable for lock and latch work, but I would never chuck a flat bit away because it was blunt.

Sharpening a flat bit has to be the easiest sharpening operation in the world, assuming you have access to a grinding wheel.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Only problem is, you have to sharpen the outsides too, and then they start to lose their nominal width(pain in the arris if you've just drilled out 17mm when you needed 19mm) :(
    Difficult to remedy.

Mr. Handyandy - really

5. murrmac

murrmac Member

..."Only problem is, you have to sharpen the outsides too" ...

well, not really, the part which gets blunt is the leading corner on each face, and if you grind away enough on the leading edge, it will produce a corner which is quite sharp enough for all practical purposes without reducing the width by any significant amount.

the fancy flat bits with spurs that B & Q stock obviously have to be radically reground and the spurs removed once they get blunt.

6. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

I don't own any auger bits in my kit. Just use flat bits.

7. ­

­ New Member

How do you avoid the initial 'breakout' with augers, especially on a door edge?

8. p3t3r.robinson1976

p3t3r.robinson1976 New Member

I always use both...flat bits on edge of door and augers on flat.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Flat bits aren't that hard, they're only high carbon steel, not HSS. You can sharpen them with a file. :)

Sunto64 likes this.
  10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

FatHands and Jitender like this.
  11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The difference is in their line of cutting. The auger will give a neatly aligned cut, but you must ensure it is all square and true in its direction, otherwise it could cut through the side of a door.

The flat bit allows some waggle and you can fashion an acceptable hole where accurate alignment is not essential.

They will both need to be sharp to perform well.

12. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I use both for different applications. I also use Forstner bits. These are great for shallow, clean holes without a large leading hole. Ideal for setting in the plastic boxes on some strike plates. (Zoo for example).
    [​IMG]

13. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Try Forstner bits as well. Good for accurate, shallow holes without a large leading hole.

14. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I soon swapped from a spade bit to the auger bit as an apprentice 30 years ago I was a real tool junkie but soon realised I needed a more powerful drill . Now I use mainly a lock jig . Another advantage I liked about the auger bit was I could clean the mortise lock out with the bit and it was quite neat. Now the advantage of using a lock jig is no point on the end of the cutter so I can let the apprentice loose on pre glazed doors with less stress.