Avoiding pipes/cables?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jonbhoy, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Hi all,

Getting near to starting excavating my gf's single garage and one thing is worrying me and holding me back a little.There is a gas pipe running from a meter in the corner . I have to break the concrete and dig down a further 30cm or so depending on how deep the concrete is.

I borrowed a friends CAT4 device and think i have found the pipe and possibly another one near the garage entrance i did not expect but have no idea how deep they are or if they are actually encased in the concrete floor.Someone mentioned a "Dial before you dig" but i think that only gives plans around the boundary.Is there any of the utilities that can come out to a house to advise on the pipe situation and how deep it is?I REALLY do not want to dig near these but on such a tight budget it all hinges on this.

Anyone help me on this?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you use a Cat 4 Scanner & it has a Jenny,set for Genny signal locate you should be able to get an approximate depth for the services with most of them.

Jonbhoy likes this.
  3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

As Kiab said if you have a genny with the cat then use it,basically you clamp a lead around the pipe and it injects a signal into it.A better idea if you are not fully used to using a cat is to ask your mate to scan it for you,if he uses one on a regular basis it won't take him long.Normally on any job where there are buried services you dig by hand for the 1st metre of depth anyway,so if your careful you won't hit anything.

Jonbhoy likes this.
  4. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Thanks gents,sadly it is a friend of a friend who works for a const company who was only in the area one weekend.Did say he had a bit of kit that would have done that so guessing it was the Genny but i only used the wand .I will have to break the concrete with a breaker but heard to many scare stories about the pipes only being a few inches down when they should be much deeper and just to scared to hit something.Wish i had more bottle or maybe i am being overly sensible :-(

5. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

You may wish to read this HSE guidance before you start breaking concrete & digging.
    Available as free download.
    HSG47 Avoiding danger from underground services
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg47.htm
    I know your on a tight budget but you should speak to your gas service provider first, although they may charge you; they will expose the pipe for you and maybe re-route it if it is going to compromise your build, or at least make recommendations for you working safely.
    If you're not competent then you shouldn't undertake this work.

6. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Thanks ash.Yeah the budget is tight and i am able to break up concrete but have been fighting with myself over this as i have always stayed away from gas and electric stuff.