Awesome door!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jones_, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Jones_

Jones_ Member

Hello there! :)

In my office/ study I need some security, as its in a separate part of my house and its were I keep lots of important files money etc. I would like a door that opens just for me with out having to use a key or a passcode. I would love a finger print recognition system :rolleyes: ... but its just a lock so I am looking for a cheaper solution. I was thinking maybe I could use a remote control to unlock the door? I am not too sure if its a good idea, are they hard to break into? I am new here so I don't know much about this that's why I joined. Thank you for your time :) Have a grate day!

From Jones :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Safe.:)

3. Jones_

Jones_ Member

Yey so its a good idea? :)

4. If you can DIY the solution, it can be done cheaply - check out eBay for remote fob controls and solenoid-operated door locks.

I reckon £50 will more than cover the materials.

But if you have to get someone else to do the work, it'll cost you many £undreds, possibly more.

One scary issue to consider - if the system breaks down, how will you open the door? I suspect only by smashing it.

Also consider that happening with you on the inside. If the door also opens inwards, how will you smash it open?

Where will you do your toilets whilst you wait for rescue... :rolleyes:

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I think that Kiab was advising that you should get a safe. Certainly if you keep money in there. As for the files,would anyone want them? :(

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I was,or a cash rated filing cabinet ( I have one,it's has a cash rating of 1k & it's fireproof, got it in the workshop for my power tools:)) for as sometimes you might forget to lock the door,& depending on the intergity of the door can be forced. It's just another extra line of defence.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hate the word awesome, another name for B.S.

8. I think Jones is looking for something fun and cool as much as simply performing a security task. Hats off to him for that.

But, it needs thinking through.

Before almost certainly being dismissed... :(. Unless he's rich beyond his wildest dreams :)

(Och, takes me back to when I was - ooh - 8 or 9. We had a loft trapdoor which led up to the loft space where I did all my experimenting. I used a windscreen wiper motor to lift the door - a very crude 'winding up a cord' job. Then there was the security box I made to keep my secret stuff in - which, sadly, was not worth keeping secret. But it had a solenoid which pulled a clasp on the inside, connected via as many push switches as I had - some were ptb and others ptm. So you had to hold down all the 'correct' buttons simultaneously in order to trip the latch, and any wrong button being pressed prevented it from working. Only snag - the buttons were on the top lid, so with fingers on both hands still pressing buttons, you then had to lift the lid upwards... :oops: )

Sigh - those were the days.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Reminds me of when I was a nipper, I found you could move the cladding in the under stair cupboard & their was a very large space to get in, one wall was made up from the back of the built in dresser,& I use to move the china cups along the shelf with a piece of wire, poor mother, use to be good fun.:)

10. Cruel - but bludy funny :)

DIYDave. likes this.
  11. Jones_

Jones_ Member

Thank you very helpful!

12. Jones_

Jones_ Member

How do I wire it up?

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Depends on what you purchase, normally fobs etc and solenoids would be 12vdc for an application such as you require, so a psu would be required.

14. Good luck, Rull :rolleyes:

Sorry, Mr Jones, but I ain't going any further on this one. Life's too short...

Rulland likes this.
  15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ask Josef Fritzl?

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

17. :)

And the RH one is a lot cheaper :D

18. Jones_

Jones_ Member