Awkward door frame/architrave

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rystar00, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Hi all,

I have been an avid lurker for a while during my house renovation. This place has been an invaluable source of information so thank you very much for your contributions.

I have had a door frame and door fitted but am confused about how to finish off around it.

I plan to use 70mm architrave (18mm depth) around the rest of the house but I won't have enough space to fit that here. The door frame is also too thick for the opening and I'm worried it won't line up to the same thickness as the skirting.

I'm also worried that there will be some of the frame showing if I use narrower architrave.

Do you have any advice to help me finish this off and make it a neat job please?

Many thanks in advance.

Rystar00

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have use a shorten the door & squared it up, & plasterboarded above.

3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I would have used a door blank and built up some detail in line with the cut using mouldings.
    The simplest thing is probably to put in another layer of plasterboard, which will meet with the finished line of the architrave.

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

What is a door blank? I would of plaster boarded above too. If you are going to add more plasterboard watch those cables

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Door blank is a solid door. How much is the frame past the level of the PB?

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

A door blank is a plywood covered blockboard. Can be easily cut to size and is solid and cheap. The cut edges can be given a stripwood finish. Some sense of bespoke can be achieved with well placed mouldings and such. Ask for it at a decent builders or timber yard.

The cut down door in the photo looks dreadful, and quite likely to come apart at some point.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A good 3 inches, looks like.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3"! How do you work that out Handy?! If so, caulk ain't gonna do it! :)

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Agree....this is what you need to do. Example of my loft....pic below

upload_2015-11-7_14-16-35.png

upload_2015-11-7_14-17-6.png

10. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

A brand called Richard Burbidge sell stick on door mouldings....(B&Q used to sell them) but I can't find an example for you. You buy this and modify one of the squares for where the corner is cut off.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like this.

upload_2015-11-7_15-8-15.jpeg

12. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Here is the Richard Burbidge leaflet. look at bottom of page 24 "Door panel mouldings".
    They cost about £30 or per set, so you would need two sets for both sides. They are stick-on. Cheaper if you have the skills to make your own and use some mitre-bond.

http://www.tottontimber.com/FY039.pdf

13. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Good find KIAB. I was struggling to find an example from Google images.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't bother with the inside of the door myself, as it's seldom seen.:eek:

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

16. Well, that's a relief.

@@@tumbleweed@@@

17. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

That's better on the doors.

18. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

crikey, that looks awful.

19. Ry, if it ain't too late, you can modify the actual door so's it fits the frame better. Since it's going to be painted white, you can hide a multitude underneath...

Similar issue to you in my own loft conversion. What I did was to cut the door at the angle require (solid pine, Wickes') and then basically butcher it.

The inset panel was shaped by cutting the inset panel edge with a Stanley knife, and the 'slope' then cut away with a chisel to roughly match the rest of the panel. Lots of sanding to get it looking smooth enough.

For the outer stile on the sloping edge, I can't remember if I used the part of the top/side stile that was cut off, but I think I probably had to use a separate piece of timer to do the sloping stile on the outside, and this was cut to suite the remaining top and vertical stiles, butted against them, glued and a long screw fitted into each stile - no such thing as tenons or that silliness.

Then a bit of planing to get it flush with the rest of the door. And no-doubt a bit of belt-sanding too.

Finally a short length of quadrant moulding to match the existing was fitted along the outside edge of the inner panel (again, I can't remember if I used the two pieces that came off the corner I cut off, or bought extra.)

A bit of filling and sanding, and no-one needs to know what's underneath.

As for the architrave around the door, I wanted the door itself to be as large as possible, so removed as little from its corner as I could. The Ogee archi along that edge against the sloping ceiling is barely existing - only an edge strip of it remained.

No fancy tools like routers are needed - chust a sheet of coarse-grade paper.

Attached Files:

tore81 likes this.
  20. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Thanks Devil. You've done an amazing job there!

I'm not familiar with all the terminology you've used there but I will have a go in the next couple of weeks (few other more pressing things to deal with ATM!) but will report back once I've done it.