Awkward Fitting of Magnaclean

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mosaix, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Hi

My boiler is in the loft about a foot from the floor.

I'm thinking of having a magnaclean fitted. The return pipe to my boiler runs horizontally then sweeps up under the boiler.

I've measured up a friend's magnaclean and, whilst there's room to fit one under my boiler, the only way to clean it would be to remove the boiler casing to give me room to lift out the magnet and refit.

I wouldn't want to have to get a heating engineer to clean it every time, so is removing / refitting the boiler casing something I could do without voiding my service contract etc?

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 30cdi.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You don't say which Magnaclean filter, but if you use the Magnaclean Pro 2, it has 360 rotational valves, so can be fitted in many ways,you might over come your problem by extending the CH return with a loop for the filter, well worth while having a filter fitted.

http://www.adey.com/installers/filters/magnaclean-professional2

A photo might help us to over come your problem & suggest a solution.

Pollowick and Mosaix like this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If this is what you mean

I can't see how doing that would invalidate anything.

KIAB and Mosaix like this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Deleted member 33931, Mosaix and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mosaix likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Snap! Just could not get the ADEY page to load!

KIAB and Mosaix like this.
  7. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks guys. Got to pop out right now. Will get back to this later today.

8. Pollowick

SNAP SNAP

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a better connection.:p

Since OR has been enabling another cabinet for fibre along road,& replacing alumimum cables, my connection has shot up by another 18Mb.:)

10. Pollowick

Two other thoughts.

Cut the return pipe at the bend below the boiler. Then at the correct distance up, cut the pipe and install a 90 bend with a pipe running horizontal from it. You will then have two parallel pipes.

Work out where you need the Magnaclean to go, and cut the two pipes as required to fit the in-line section of the Magnaclean. This would be similar to the sixth image on my previous link.

OR

My second idea may not be a viable option - I'll think more on it.

Mosaix likes this.
  11. Pollowick

:p Just occasionally some pages seem to stall! And there's not much better than a 70+Mbps connection!

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flat out at 76Mb, I'm hoping BT will raise the 80Mb cap to 100Mb (we can dream) when G.Fast is finally released.

13. Pollowick

I believe there may be 300/50 and 160/30 options with a possible 500/xx in future.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Cough...

mio2.jpg

I think I'd go with the installing in to the horizontal pipe run option a bit like the last image.

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Smart barsteward!:p

16. You are the best teacher...

Anyhoo, I'm guessing that access to the wee drain screw at the bottom ain't actually important? My earlier model doesn't have one, but the only time I want to drain the body is to refill with cleaners - not often.

Mos could empty it using a syringe or even a small ladle thingy quite easily when needed.

Mosaix likes this.
  17. Pollowick

That's what I suggested!

Mosaix likes this.
  18. Yeah, but I added the piccie so yours doesn't count... :p

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No one likes a smart a$$ DA :eek:

20. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Mine isn't quite like that, DB. The side and front panels are one piece so the whole inards will become exposed. I seem to remember that the service engineer mentioned that the top half of the boiler is sealed by the casing. Could be wrong, mind.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017