B & Q Prices

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Londoner, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Londoner

Londoner Member

Whilst in store looking for some sale "bargains", thought I'd check out a couple of examples on their electrical rack:
    Wylex 12 way CU (same as Screwfix stock 28504 but with 12 MCB's, screwfix has 10 in this product, ie, left 2 spare ways, at £72.50), B&Q nearly £170.
    50m of 10mm earthing singles (Screwfix code 14963 at £14.95), B&Q nearer £37.
    One consolation perhaps, B&Q offering their sale visitors 15% off this week!!!

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Ihad great fun with B and Q once, I challenged them to do a price match with denmans, who were quoting around £55+vat for an 8 way and £75+vat for a 12 way, with MCBs etc.

B and Q were twice as expensive. They did the price match plus 10% of the price difference. I saved around £25 on trade prices!

The chap said that they had never been asked to do this on CUs before, despite the huge banners all over the store that say "If you find one of our products even a penny cheaper elsewhere, we'll match it and give you 10%"

CC

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Did you know that B&Q own Screwfix ?

4. sparky308

sparky308 Member

It's weird, but you can't always second guess them. Recently I found trade 5 packs of MK double sockets at £12.95 in B&Q - nearest price £16.95 on Screwfix (same company). Also a decent stainless steel sink in B&Q for £50 - nearest Screwfix equivalent £80. But a monobloc tap cost £72 in B&Q & the apparently identical item on Screwfix was £30. I reckon they make something cheap to hook you, then mark up a likely accompanying item, on the basis that you'll buy the whole lot in one place to save hassle.

5. Kai

Kai New Member

B and Q are really cheap for white plastic MK wiring accessories, even less then Newey and Eyre's at times.

They are expensive for Wylex though, charging a tenner for a B16 breaker, when Newey's charge a fiver for same.

It's swings and roundabouts, worth checking several prices before you buy.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Our B&Q 'Superstore' does MK Masterseal cheaper than Screwfix!

(Only just though! :O)

7. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

Here's a story about someone I heard of (from a local shopkeeper)

This is a while ago when B&Q did their 'key season price' promotion. If you see a specific 'key season price' product cheaper locally they would refund 'double the difference'

Sandvik 244 saw £8.99 B&Q Key season price

Customer says to assistant ' is that true you will give me back double the difference ?'

Yes assistant replies.

OK I'll have 30 please, customer says

Gets to checkout and points out that a local ironmonger is doing the same saw for £5.95

B&Q phone local shop (who is at least a third cheaper than b&Q anyway) to confirm item is for sale and price.

So, after B&Q refusing to sell when he pointed out price, and then capitulating when customer said he had confirmed with assistant prior to checkout, and also mentioning trading standards, they gave in.

So saw cost £8.99
    Discount - £6.08
    Purchase price (customer) £2.91

Result.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Did you know that B&Q own Screwfix ?

Not quite true. Both SFX and B&Q are part of the Kingfisher Group.

Bazza

9. steve CF

steve CF New Member

10. B and Q are really cheap for white plastic MK wiring
    accessories, even less then Newey and Eyre's at
    times.

They are expensive for Wylex though, charging a
    tenner for a B16 breaker, when Newey's charge a fiver
    for same.

It's swings and roundabouts, worth checking several
    prices before you buy.

Yes, but you only buy 16a , dont you ?