BAD INSTALLATION OF ROOFLITE WINDOWS

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bad Builder, Aug 19, 2014.

?

What should I do ?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Insist upon remedial action to install as per Manufacturers Guidance before paying balance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Live with it, Builder has done a good job.

66.7%
  3. Seek help from someone more experienced with this window installation & deduct cost from what i owe.

33.3%
  4. Pay a roofer to sort take legal action to recover expense.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0003.JPG Please Help !!

I hope someone can help.

My builder has recently installed three Rooflite windows into an extension and is telling me they are installed correctly and in accordance with manufacturers instructions. The tiling around all of my recently installed ‘Rooflite’ windows appears poor (both aesthetically and technically) and does not appear to conform to the guidance offered in the installation literature. I have also watched the ‘Velux’ installation video (I appreciate this is a different window but it is the tiling rather than window installation I am concerned with).
    Attached in Pic 1 & 3 you can see the foam curtain visible where the tile has been laid across it; in effect trapping it between the tile and the tile guide. Is this correct?
    Surely the foam should be cut and shaped and is supposed to abut the underside of the tile (to act as a curtain to prevent ingress of debris and the elements; not be folded over and the tile laid over?

The flashing at the bottom does not appear to be correctly installed to be shaped so as to provide a nice neat seal against the tile on which it is laid; what is opinion of the current state?

The tiles should be profiled, ‘chamfered’ so as to not be affected by flashing kits, otherwise tiles are elevated and the appearance / performance of the roof and its longevity are all effected. Specifically the lower tiles nearest the windows bottom edge appear to be elevated due to a lack of profiling; they are lifted by the flashing kit. Should I worry about this?

Then there is the varying size of gap around the windows (no shown in these images). On one side, tiles overlap the rigid tile guide whilst on the other side, the tiles end before the tile guide. One must be right and one wrong, which is right?

The builder says they have passed Building Regs inspection, but can that be right? Surley they would say it needs work?

I also invite you to pass comment on any other issue noticed whilst you review these images.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

From the pics posted, they look ok to me, the windows have a built in drainage channel around the top and both sides don't they with the sponge outside of this, as long as the sponge isn't overhanging into the channel it should be fine.

I have the same set up at home windows, tiles, one thing you do need to be sure is right, is the flashing in the bottom corners, if you get a build up of leaves etc under the tiles there, it will suck water up and around the flashing allowing a leak, or should I say it did on mine, but I have to point out, mines is only a 22° pitch, very shallow for a tiled roof.

IMAG1602.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

This is .2 over 20° Pitch!

The sponge is trapped between the tile guide (side wall of the channel) and the tile, meaning the tile does not sit down neatly. This can not be correct, it looks awfull.

4. Phil the Paver

?? Your pics make it look to be a lot steeper than 20.2°.

The pics are not showing tiles sticking up, so I'm unsure what you mean.

5. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

You can see the tiles directly above the flashing at the lower edge, they are elevated at least 15mm from being flush sitting inside the tile below.
    The flashing kit is preventing the tile from sitting down neatly as it has not been profiled.

6. Phil the Paver

I sort of see what you mean, you could try pushing the tile down a bit to form the flashing better, but I personally from the pics, don't see a big problem, maybe it looks worse in the flesh??.

7. Phil the Paver

If you look at my pic, you can see the same effect, more so on the left, this is just how it is, after all you now have something inbetween the tiles (flashing), so they are not going to sit as flush as the others.

8. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

but they would if the tile had been profiled to sit neatly into the tile below. Chamffered.....

9. Phil the Paver

????, what are you on about. :p:p

10. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

if the lower surface of the bottom tiles had been shaped, profiled, chamffered, the falshing would have less effect and the tile would sit down neater than it is now. Also, the foam should not be trapped between tile and tile guide, it should just touch the underisde of the tile. Finally, the tiles should either over-lap or the tile guide or not over-lap. Not one side over the other not. What don't you understand? Are you my inept builder?

11. Phil the Paver

:p:p, Inept builder, or over fussy customer, building control have passed it for a reason, that reason is simple, it is done correctly.

12. Bad Builder

Bad Builder New Member

I disagree and won't be paying. I was hoping to get the opinion of some people who know what they are talking about; not that of those who didn't appear to understand 'chamffered'.

13. Phil the Paver

Typical reply from a newbie, come on here looking for answers, then when given an answer you don't want too hear, you **** us off.

In 30+ years of building, I've yet to see a roofer/builder chamfer a tile. :p:p:p.

Best you ask your question on.

This is the answer I want.com :p:p:p:p

14. Bad Customer, I don't know whether you have a 'case' here or not, but suspect not. By chamfering, you are perhaps suggesting the builder angle-grinds the tile thickness down to accommodate the flashing and foam thickness? By, ooh, 15mm?

For your peace of mind - 'cos you seem a bit tetchy - I suggest you take a few more photos (including one taken from directly in-line with the bottom of the window to show the raised tiles) and send them to the manufacturer of the window. They should soon tell you if it's ok or not.

Please report back on their findings - I am genuinely interested. I haven't ticked any of your boxes above, but should it turn out to be wrong in any way, then - absolutely - you should not live with it and your builder should sort it.

I would suggest the manufacturer would be the best person to comment on this.

What you cannot do is simply get another roofer to fix it and bill the original cove; you need to go through a process that allows them a proper opportunity to sort it first, and you keep a full record of this.

Anyways, are you pleased with everything else these guys have done?