Bad plumbing day

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just found this video on youtube :eek:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The carpet will be nice and clean. :D:D:D:D

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Ha. Had a similar thing here in the development where I live. Communal pumped hot water system for 77 apartments. Some twerp cut through a pipe he thought was redundant. As the resident go to guy for that sort of carp I had a good laugh then stuck on a push fit cap. Water everywhere.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I feel his pain, but, always make sure you have a backup plan for isolation if it goes pear snapped!!!!

fenwoman likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Years ago went to a leaking pipe & stopcock in a basement, it was old lead pipe which was leaking above & below stopcock,I had barely touched when it came away from the lead pipe,rushed outside to stopcock, totally butchered, no chance of turning off water, so back to basement, & I used the nearest thing to hand a snooker cue, perfect fit in lead pipe, a few swift blows with hammer & leaked stopped:),only problem was cue was worth nearly £200-£300,the lady went very pale when she realised what I used, husband then turned up & I was expecting a trip to the casualty, but no, he took it very well, as he was the one who had butchered the outside stopcock.:D

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Top tip...always find the stop cock before starting and make sure it works! :D

Had a couple of close calls over the years, but touch wood...nothing serious! Although...plumbed an electric shower in about 30 years a go for my folks. Finished the job, all working and chuffed. Dad came back home just as I was putting the floor boards back down on the landing. Started chatting while nailing the floor boards back down...job well done. Couple of mins later noticed a slight damp patch around nail heads. Hmmm, trying to dismiss it...surely not?! Anyway, pulled boards back up and all hell broke loose!! :D

Joe95 and nigel willson like this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Done that a few times over the years, always a good way to make sure the ticker still works right!

KIAB and CGN like this.
  8. Percy Ortiz

Percy Ortiz New Member

Ha Ha, Nice!

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Expensive!!!

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Made a similar mistake, had done all the work for CH boiler, then had gas person to come and fit boiler.

when filling the system, was taking ages....

To my horror the draining point on drop loop in kitchen wasn't shut off, there was about 1/2" water in the kitchen and my flat was first floor :oops:

Had to use vacuum cleaner to pick up the water although it wasn't a wet one.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    CGN likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I remember my dad getting a plumber friend to come out and solder in a new section. 2 nail holes about 18" apart on the same pipe.
    I was only 12 and didn't know how to solder pipe. Think he charged £18...which to me at that time was a lot of money! :D

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I can top that! I re-plumbed a house, wondered why the system wouldn't fill, so I wonder round till I find water spraying everywhere in the conservatory, I had forgotten to solder an elbow.:oops:

Lots of towels were used, although I was lucky it was an empty conservatory.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Weren't empty,,,,, it were full of water!!!!!.lol

fenwoman and Joe95 like this.
  14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I drilled through the Bottom half of an immersion tank with a auger bit, water ****** everywhere, yeah that was fun

Dam0n and CGN like this.
  15. fenwoman

fenwoman New Member

I actually feel desperately sorry for the plumber.

16. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Nightmare, still the carpet had a good clean with the old wet & dry vac.
    If that was me i would probably ripped off the doors after 30 seconds and then ripped out the back panel to get better access.
    Plumber had a good shower though :)