Ballpark for flat roof.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Anyone able to provide a rough ballpark figure so's my bro knows what he going to be hit for?

It is a small flat-roof, approx 3m x 2m, gently sloping. Ground floor, so lowest point is around 8' off the ground.

Currently felt-covered, but this has failed. Very possibly rotten timbers underneath, so he's looking to having a complete replacement, with whatevs on top - fibreglass, EPDM or even mineral felt (which I understand these days is a long-lasting product?).

Inside will need p'boarding and skimming.

The existing roof has a glass panel in in, approx 1m x 600mm, and I think this might be single-glazed but would in any case require replacing. It would not have to be openable. And it doesn't even have to be there at all...

This is in Sath London, Kennington.

What sort of quotes can he expect (he hasn't a clue...)

Better still, is there anyone who can provide an actual quote for the work?

Ta very muchly.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is it a habitable room, if so go for a warm roof construction, cold roof construction is so old fashion today.
    GRP will last 40 years or, harder wearing than EPDM & available in a selection of colours, had GRP at a previous place, never leaked in the 20 years or so it was on wokshop roof.

Not having to replace a skylight will save you several hundred quid.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Cheers, KIAB.

Just looking for a rough figure.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Quick google says £90/sq metre for f/glass, so £600?

5. Cheers, Dr.

I was looking for ballparks for a complete replacement - remove complete existing and renew.

Which Googlie did you use for your estimates?

Thanks.

6. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi

Rip off exsisting covering and Osb deck and joists and dispose £400

Supply and fit new joists,new furring strips 11mm osb,vapour control layer, 130mm insulation and 18mm osb deck and 250mm roofing fixings and new Facia and guttering £1280

Supply and fit 6m2 Fiber glass covering including trims and upstands £500

Plasterboard and skim internal ceiling £310

Omitted roof light window as not needed

Total ballpark

£2490

+15% margin

£2863.5

Prob could add a 1/3 again for London

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I just googled flat roof cost...clearly it was very rough!!!

8. Many thanks, SW.

Bro was after an idea like this so he could try and judge whether it was worth going for a recovering or a whole replacement.

I'll pass that on - cheers.

9. Your quote was for just recovering - SW's is for a whole roof :)

10. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

No probs hope he gets it sorted

11. Update, as it's almost funny.

My bro had a roofer recommended to him a week back - and I reckon I'll be putting their name on here at some point - who came out and quoted just under £600 for recovering the roof in fibreglass. A reasonable quote, and in the correct ballpark for such a job (the roof is less than 3m wide x 2m deep, and is easily accessible from the ground with the lowest part being around 7' high.)

The guys came out, stripped off most of the felt and announced it was a bigger job as damage had been caused to the timbers beneath. Fair enough - that cam as no real surprise.

They wanted £5k to fix it...

Bro called me up in a bit of a panic (he doesn't have that much money) and I told him that it was nothing short of extortion - off the top of my head I reckoned that was at least twice what a reasonable quote should be.

The roofer tried to suggest it's because he'd have 4 people on the job to get it done quickly. Four people working on a roof that's accessed from a low trestle and that could barely hold them all if they sat side by side?

Bro told them he'd need to think about this and asked them to put a cover over any exposed holes (they'd also remove the glass pane) as rain was imminent.

They did this using a couple of offcuts of Tyvek - with the horizontal overlap positioned half-way over the roof's window hole. Result was that the sheet sagged and rain poured in - fortunately mostly landing in the sinktop underneath.

He had another roofer round yesterday who quoted £2.3k for a complete new roof.

I am almost itching for the first crooks - for that is what they are - to try and claim for any 'work' done.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Stewards the lot of 'em.

KIAB likes this.
  13. It is incredible.

My bro is as honest as the day is long - he finds this sort of behaviour almost beyond belief. The roofers were friendly, seemingly professional - but yet were prepared to hold someone over a barrel (roof stripped - rain imminent) to pocket a few extra £k.

How do they sleep at night?

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They sleep quite soundly, unfortunately, because they have no conscience. The sad fact is they're probably very adept at pulling the same trick, you wonder how many others have paid in blind panic just to have a supposed peace of mind. Your brothers very lucky he's got a brother that spends all his time on the Screwfix forum, (couldnt resist I'm afraid) otherwise he may have been shafted. They give the rest of us trades a bad name, and then we have the knock on effect of homeowners giving us the Spanish Inquisition, thinking we're going to stitch them when we ask for a deposit, and all round general distrust. If the job was a couple hundred quid and they were double, that's not a great indicator as there can be a great difference in quality of materials used, but to be double when the job is two and a half grand that's when alarm bells start ringing. Wouldn't hurt to look them up quietly in their local area and see what the general consensus is.......

15. Lees of the cheek... :p

Anyhoo, on MyBuilder.com they have a 93% positive rating... :rolleyes:

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

you mean 93% on MyStewardBuilder.com

17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I hope you are going to post a review on mybuilder to warn the next person

18. Yup - I want to, but bro - like most folk - feels reluctant.

I'm gonna try and persuade him...