Barn conversion costs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by raasayron, Apr 1, 2010.

1. raasayron

raasayron New Member

Hi all,
    I was wondering if any of you have any experience in barn conversions and if so, what do you reckon it would cost per square metre to do one.
    Its for myself so I would be looking to be working on site all times (I'm a general builder - in this neck of the woods you do a bit of everything) and using subcontractors. Three stone walls look good and one doesn't. The roof needs to be relaced but all of the slates look like they're still there. The barn is 240 square metres and C listed. The finish would be simple but the missus wants it to be eco friendly so some materials wouldn't be the cheapest - real wood floors, eco insulation etc.
    Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

length of string blah blah blah :(

3. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

I know how much it will cost.

LOADS!

More than you think and more than you can afford, it always does.

Your a builder, you work it out!

4. ­

­ New Member

Your biggest cost will be labour by a country mile. Probably twice the labour cost of a similar size new-build.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

£1k per sq/m will be somewhere close!

:)

6. ­

­ New Member

.........and that's just for the leccy work.

7. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

parents had a wood/brick built 5 bed barn converted standard was good but not lavish. It came to around 500k, the barn was already on their l;and so not much of a problem