Basic Theory Question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ding, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Ding

Ding Member

Can anyway answer my question as I've looked all over the web and cant find an answer. Basically, all I want to know is what determines how much juice an appliance pulls. I know how to do the formula in order to work out the wattage or amps etc, I just want to know how some things pull more juice than others. If it's 230v going down a cable then how come a fridge uses more electricity than a food mixer or how can a tiny hairdryer be 2000 watts. Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Resistance!

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Resistance, or more correctly, impedance. Measured in Ohms.

Sounds like you can calculate power using the power triangle:
    P
    VxI

There is also the resistance triangle:

V
    IxR

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Impedance for AC
    Resistance for DC
    :)

Lectrician likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Although he was talking AC :)

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just getting the ball rolling lec :)

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Do you own a car ?
    Have you the keys ?
    Go to car.
    Lock yourself in.
    .....That's it.
    Are you still reading this ?
    RS.....:p

Pete Jones likes this.
  8. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

So I'll read "juice" as power, and try and give a simple analogy.

If you're a school kid looking with help with their homework, or just curious, then the explanation below might help.

If you're planning on working on real electrics without understanding Ohms law then please stop. There are less painful ways to kill yourself.

Electricity is the movement of electrons.
    Power is how many electrons are moving every second (current) multiplied by how hard they're being pushed (voltage).*

So if the voltage is the same on two devices, but the power is different then it must be the current that's different.

As has been pointed out above, if the push (voltage) is constant then the number of electrons that can get through the circuit every second depends on the resistance.

Here's a video walking you through some calculations.

*how many electrons per second is really measured in coulombs of electrons per second - a coulomb is like a bucket of electrons. So one amp is a coulomb sized "bucket" of electrons per second.

Mr Milliamp likes this.
  9. Hi Ding.

Sometimes the analogy with water flowing through a pipe works well.

Voltage is the 'pressure' or 'force' behind the flow. The Oomph. It's what 'pushes' the leccy through the wire. With all your appliances, this 'force' - 240V - is the same for them all.

So, imagine a tank full of water up to the brim. Now drill a wee hole in the bottom of the tank and fit a short length of wee hose to it - how much water flows out? Now drill a much larger hole beside it and fit a much larger hose to that one. Compare the two flows - are they the same?

Hopefully you'll notice (if you build this tank) or realise (if you chust think about it) that a lot more flow comes out the larger hole and hose.

If you don't 'see' that as being the case, take it to it's logical conclusion - remove the whole bottom of the tank. I think you'll agree that a lot more water comes out now?

Cool. So the bigger the hole the greater the flow - for the same amount of stored water (voltage).

So how does this work with leccy? The appliances that draw less current/power are the ones with much thinner holes in them. By that I mean they have a much larger resistance to the leccy flow, just like a wee hose has a much larger resistance to the water flow.

And if you were to measure that resistance to water flow in the pipe, and measure the resistance to leccy flow in an appliance, you would find that same correlation.

If you want more - like HOW does this happen inside an appliance, then you have to look at what is inside that appliance. The hair drier than uses a surprisingly large 2,000 watts has a 'hose' (wire) inside it that is surprisingly 'large' and with low resistance to flow.

Whereas a bulb which is typically only drawing 60 watts has a very thin wire inside it which has a much greater resistance to flow.

(That is putting it very simply... It's not chust the thinness or thickness of the wire, or even how long it is (the longer = more resistance, chust like a long hose would reduce your water flow), but also what the wire is made off - they often add various chemcials/other metals to it to control resistance.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well put DA. Except the amount of stored water is analogous to the amount of energy, no? Height of the water is like the voltage.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. proby

proby Active Member

AC DC :oops:

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Any device needs to have the power to do the work its is designed for. As an example, people use 240v power tools at home. On site they are 110v. But you get the same performance with either tool. ie you can get the same amount of work done with either voltage. They have the same power capability.

So things are made to do what's needed of them, by the manufacturers. They will offer a range of products with different power capabilities. From the bog standard to the deluxe. You would need some good maths, science and engineering to comprehend the true nature of what's being done to make such things.

Ok the 240 and 110 are fine for jobbing tradesfolk. But in the timber yard they use 3 phase machinery, because they need more power to do more, bigger things. They need to do them just as easily as the scaled down version on site. So such humungous machines are made to do this. Again, top boffins are at work doing this as we speak.

But you can't buy a three phase hair dryer, no sir.

13. Yeah, volume = 'capacity' or 'amount' (eg as in a battery).

And, yeah height of stored water over outlet = voltage.

You pedant, you... :p

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is actually IMPEDANCE in both AC and DC circuits, just that in a DC circuit there is no reactive component and the impedance matches the resistance.

15. Sorry, Bodge, for calling you a pedant... :)

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Someone always has to go one better don't they DA! :p

Deleted member 33931 and CGN like this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Let's not over complicate at this stage :D

18. Yup. Ding comes on here asking how a HUGE fridge and a MEDIUM food processor and a TINY hair drier can have such differing power consumptions, rarely in proportion to their size.

And they walk right in to the path of Pollo and DW and... :D

(Hey! Ding! A food processor will pull a lot MORE current than a fridge...)

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm just a bodgy pedant.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I prefer the water analogy where you are trying to push water though a pipe, if you put a restriction on the pipe, resistance, and still apply the same pressure, volts, then you will reduce the flow, amps.

Dr Bodgit likes this.