Bath fills up from sink.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lee G, May 4, 2016.

1. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Hi, I have a problem with the flow in the pipes, when I run my sink water I get air bubbles form at the waste to the bath then the bath and sink start filling up with water. We've increased the angle of the pipe fall from the bath, used a hose up the pipes incase of a blockage, also different solutions but it still happens, not sure why but I have 3 bends in the pipe work between the sink and Bath rather than just straight pipe between them could this be a part of the problem. Any advise would be grateful. Thanks.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sounds like the sink is siphoning the bath u bend, how far from the main stack pipe are the sink/bath.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And where does the sink pipe join the bath pipe?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Does the sink 'tee' into the bath waste?

5. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Yes pipe comes down from sink waste then instead of all the water going left towards soil stack it also goes right towards the bath.

6. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Sink pipe comes straight down from the sink waste and joins onto the bath pipe that goes from the bath to the soil stack, it joins roughly in the middle between soil stack and Bath waste

7. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Bath about 2m and the sink about 1m

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bad plumbing design, ideally sink, bath should feed seperately to a stack or outside gully,but this is not always the case.
    The sink joins bath pipe is that by a Tee,& is that correct way around in direction of flow.
    Some photo's would help us.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

My thoughts too Kiab. Could simply be push fit tee wrong way round, or still partially blocked.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot to said for fitting rodding eyes to pipe work, hose pipe unlikely to clear any blockage, should shove a plumbers snake up the pipe to clear any blockage.

There is always a 40mm non return valve,that could solve is problem,if you hasave access to clean it, BUT it doesn't solve the underlying bad plumbing design which is most likely the cause, but it could also be a stubbon blockage.

11. Mate fit a trap on the basin with an air admittance valve on it job done

12. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Ok thanks will do

13. Mr. Handyandy

Over 2m from the bath trap to the stack makes me think that there may be too little angle for the pipes to drain in the correct direction!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

40mm waste pipe should easily cope with a basin flow, but I would fit a anti-siphon trap to the basin.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Well yeah, as long as the pipe from the bath trap runs down the the basin join and continues down to the stack!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Lee G

Lee G New Member

Ok thanks.