Bath Panel Fitting Confusion

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Dan Young, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

Hi there,

I've just gone to fit my new bath panel and I cannot work it out for the life of me. The bath is plastic with a lip at the top which I understand the panel fits inside. The problem is that once the plinth is added at the bottom the paths metal supports wont allow the top part to fit inside the lip due to the double width of having a plinth and main panel. I've seen a tutorial video online which shows someone fitting the plinth outside the panel rather than behind which would solve my problem but surely this isn't how its meant to look! Do I just have an awkward bath design or is there a solution?! Please help!!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Pics will help in working out what's going on.

3. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

photo-4.JPG here's the problem Phil, it looks like the supports angle outwards a bit...

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're right about the plinth, they should go on the inside, Its quite common for the support to get in the way and you need to notch it to get round it, whoever invents these contraptions should actually be sent out fitting them before they sell them, I f'kin hate them, :mad:

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any pictures of the panel and plinth?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

What do you think I should use to notch the plinth with? I don't have a router but do have a jigsaw or a handsaw and hammer and chisel. It's laminated mdf I think. Thanks

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I usually jig saw them out, carefull to keep in the hidden part of the plinth, If you use a level from the bathedge and mark the floor, then step back 2 thicknesses of the panel, thats the back edge of your plinth, so drill and screw a battern there and fix your plinth to it,

8. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

Thanks a lot Tom. I'll have a go. Looking at how far down the supports go it looks to me like I'll have to take a bit of the thickness off the back of the visible part of the plinth too if that makes sense. That's where I was wondering if I need a router?

9. Supra

Supra Member

It's possible that the support frame isn't centralised where it's screwed on under the bath, the frame shouldn't be sticking out that far as the support in the way isn't vertical like it should be.

Either that or the frame is too wide for the bath.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

Yeah I see. I wonder if I can somehow push it back

11. Supra

Supra Member

It'll be screwed into the chipboard plank that's under the bath.

Check to see if it's centralised on the chipboard, if it isn't you'll have to adjust the feet before and after you move the frame.

12. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

Looks pretty central to me on the chipboard. Weird, I wonder why its sloping out so much?

13. Dan Young

Dan Young New Member

This is so frustrating, I thought I'd put the panel and plinth together and offer it up just to prove to myself its definitely not going to fit. Obviously it didn't so I thought fine, I'll cut some gaps in the plinth where it overlaps. While I was there though I tried reversing the panel so the plinth is on the outside to see if it will fit once theres only one width of board rather than two and it's still going to bloody go. I'm wondering if I can bash the supports in bit with a hammer or is that a terrible idea?