Bath tap hole co** up!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sparks., Apr 8, 2016.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Just drilled my acrylic bath mixer tap holes at 150 centers only to find the cranked stems need 180mm centers!! Is it possible to get hold of non-cranked stems? Or have I just ruined my bath? ;-)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May have to use single taps instead rather than a mixer.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::rolleyes:

5. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

OOOOOPs single taps or new bath.:confused:

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

This is what happens when a lowly spark dabbles in upper tier trades.
    Guessing you ain't told the missus yet?

KIAB likes this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I just goggled "bath mixer taps 150mm centres" and loads come up

I'm not that clever to know this info, or pretend to know but good old goggle ;)

Can you not just change the taps for another set - 150 centres ?

Or stick to sparkin :D

KIAB likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There are mixer taps with 150mm centres.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Really?

11. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Well guys, you're right, I should stick to electrics. To get over this little conundrum I had drill another hole and make use of one of those little 'tap hole stoppers' mentioned above.
    In my defense though, why on earth produce a mixer tap with 150mm centers but only have it mountable with little stems requiring 180mm centers?? What is wrong with 'straight' stems like they have in America?? No wonder electricians get confused!!

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Easily done, and fair play for fessin' up! I confess on here occasionally too :)

KIAB likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think Para was only joking to use the stoppers :eek:

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think you're right Jit. The best thing after a c*** up is to have a nice cup of tea and chill. Then think about possible ways of rectification :)

15. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

It was a case of ordering a new bath which could take a week, or stuff the hole! I chose the latter because it's not my bath, it's a mate's rental property with is due to be occupied very soon and he couldn't get a plumber to do the job in time ! He probably won't even notice the lovely extra piece of 'chrome' :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could use third hole for shower hose fitting, cunningly hiding your c*** up.:p:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Also might be useful.;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    CGN likes this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The moral of the story is to have your tap to hand before drilling. I'm always paranoid about messing that job up as unlike forgetting where your down lights are meant to go in your ceiling :rolleyes:, not easily fixed with a bit of patching and fine filler :D

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And read instructions,full of useful info on installation...:p

CGN likes this.
  19. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I very carefully measured the taps, 150mm centers!! It's the cranked stems which came separately that screwed me up! And no instructions whatsoever!

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You should have put the shower valve on the bath and the taps in the wall.;)