Bath Tub with a tiling flange

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by valente, Feb 13, 2012.

1. valente

valente New Member

I am following instructions from my black and decker bathroom remodelling book to install an alcove bath and it i recommends an alcove bath with a "tiling flange"  ....  It seems the best way to install this type of tub in terms of keeping water away from the floor.

Does anyone know where I can get a tub with a tile flange? Or would you deem this unecessary and install cement board down to the top of the tub and use plastic strips and sillicone?

Cheers.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I assume from your odd terminology that you are a Yank? You are asking questions on a British site and I'm afraid they don't make sense this side of the pond :)

3. valente

valente New Member

G Brown,

The terminology is from the American book not from me! It appears that in the USA one can obtain bathtubs that have a nailing flange which can be nailed directly to the studs. Then you tiling surface goes over that. The flange rises vertically up from the edge of the bath on three sides around an inch (or 25.4 mm if you prefer that!) .. the book I mentioned recommends using that type of bath with roof flashing too I kind of like the belt and braces approach to this particularly as I am going to be using a shower over the bath.

I've given up finding that kind of bath though. How would you do it?

Cheers

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Chuck the Yankee book in the bin - it's usless! :)

Just fit the bath firm and square, make sure the wall brackets are secure and the feet screwed down. Silicon between the bath and wall before fixing the bath. Tile down to the bath leaving a 3mm gap. Once grouted then silicon around the edge of the bath and tiles. To be honest the waterproofing of a bath is all about the tiling. If you use the wrong adhesives, tile badly, do sloppy grouting and messy  silicon then  it will leak.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'd use aquapanel (or similar cement board) from the floor up. Certainly wouldn't consider it just from bath height.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

UK baths are designed to take the weight thru their legs/feet. Do no even attempt to 'nail' the sides to the wall! :) Do it as suggested above by GB and JJ.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I nailed my bath to the wall, so I had somewhere to hang me soap on a rope.