bathroom and kitchen paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Adam Marshall, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Adam Marshall

Adam Marshall New Member

I am wondering if there is a matt bathroom paint on the market or will just normal matt emulsion be ok? I am planning on white throughout in both kitchen and bathroom but don't want that horrible sheen that comes with bathroom paint any ideas would be great thanks. Adam

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And um, in a kitchen, be careful that when you are wiping down regularly that you don't 'create' shiny bits (as can happen with matts).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can use vinyl matt..... if you can live with the condensation running down all the inside of the outside walls.

4. proby

proby Active Member

You could look at polyvine Matt varnish. I haven't used it personally but reading the info and talking to the reps you can use the Matt paint of your choice and go over the top with this for a Matt cleanable finish.

5. I wasn't aware - I ain't aware - that 'matt' causes more condensation that 'silk'?

Surely the reason most peeps choose 'silk' in bathrooms is 'cos when moisture does condense on it, it's more resistant - it's more 'waterproof'? In fact I'd hazard that less water would run down a matt wall than a silk one, as the matt will partially absorb the moisture, whereas silk would shrug it off - and it would 'run'.

(Ie - try sprinkling water on a normal 'matt' wall - it'll show up darker as the paint absorbs the water. Do the same on silk and it won't darken as the water doesn't penetrate. It'll still be the same amount of water, tho', and the silk will be more likely to have it 'running'...)

So, provided it's a 'bathroom'-type paint - one that is more durable and water resistant - then matt should be fine.

If Adam has a greater condensation problem than usual, then he should consider lining the exterior walls with thermalrock (or whatever it's called - it's around 3-4mm thick) lining first - that'll provide all the insulating properties it'll need to combat condensation.

6. Might work - but I suspect it'll look hellish :)

7. proby

proby Active Member

As I said haven't used it personally but that is what it's for, perhaps Astra can comment if he has used it I would be interested to know from anyone that has as it does look a good product.:p

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Mr War and Peace, that' why EGGSHELL finish in such environments is the choice of professional painters. Further note, eggshell is not silk, oh and further re bathroom paint...retail selling name for 'eggshell'.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have used Polyvine products as a sealer on various decorative paint finishes as a protective sealer, I do not believe it to be a suitable product for use in areas of constant high humidity such as a shower/bathroom, however it would as you say provide a washable sealed surface over matt paint and many other paint finishes and wallpaper.

proby likes this.
  10. W&P ma botty.

Are saying that matt emulsion will cause more water to run down yer bathroom walls than silk or eggshell?

If so, please explain how.

Ta muchly :p

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will run down walls but very, very much reduced plus any condensation marks do not leave any detrimental marks on the eggshell paint as they would on matt.

12. proby

proby Active Member

Thanks for that Asta I was going on the rep at the p&d show but as always best advice comes from experience.

13. Ah, fair enough.

I'd interpreted your earlier post as suggesting that matt paint would make the 'running water' issue worse - or that it would only happen with 'matt'.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DA. I painted a kitchen on a job about 8 years ago, elderly lady living on her own, didn't do a lot of cooking, just wanted the walls freshened up with the same colour matt paint as her previous decorator had used some years before, considering all these facts I continued as requested only to get a phone call exactly to the day one year later that water was pouring down her kitchen walls and she'd 'never had that problem before'. So interrogation time commences, are you doing anything different? no, have you dried wet washing in the kitchen? no, is it only on the outside walls? yes, oh! I'll come round and have a look. Looking at the walls on arrival they were running with very heavy condensation worst I've ever seen................turned out the old dear had just bought a pressure cooker and let off the pressure in the kitchen without any ventilation with the result being the hot steam settled and caused condensation on the outside walls. Being a decent bloke I repainted the interior side of the outside walls free of any charges and continue to do other decorating work for the lady.

So for me eggshell every time in areas of high humidity and steam.

15. Och, yer a wee softy :)

Yes, absolutely, eggshell will cope with moisture far better than matt. But you won't get less moisture condensing on a wall 'cos it's eggshell.

That's all I'm sayin'... :)