Bathroom ceiling fan with light with timer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by azizrasul, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Obviously difficult to fully understand on a forum but why cant you vent out through the wall without taking this convoluted route ?

You've said the shower is on ground floor, outside wall so sure, you may need to cause some destruction but use a ceiling fan, with or without light and duct out via ceiling void to outside wall

I realise in real life not always this easy.....joists running wrong way, lack of access, etc but still think with the proposed venting run you will be wasting your time with an average power fan

100mm soil pipe for the ducting would improve air flow as offers less resistance than the flexi pipe stuff and a descent spec fan

3. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Unfortunately I have the gas boiler duct going out where the shower room is going to be situated.
    Disn't realise flat ducting existed (showing my ignorance here). That's a possible way out.

Assumming I can use the flat ducting, what light\extractor fan can I use which is on a timer which gives me the power to shift the steam?

4. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Bought the Swiftair SL100TWC fan which looks good. However as I need a long run can I place an in-fan in series to boost the flow? Possibly buy the same one again and place the fan elements in series or alternatively replace the fan bit with a more powerful one in it's place?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

can you swap that for this - compare the amount of air they shift - add the Manrose humidistat and you have fully automated operation - adjustable timer - only comes on for extraction when it needs to, goes off when it needs to - and can be over ridden to extract on demand

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:D

7. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Yep, that seems to be the right device to use. Thanks.