Bathroom Ceiling flaky paint, any advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sharpharp, Aug 7, 2016.

1. sharpharp

sharpharp New Member

Hi all,

Finally got round to tackling the Bathroom Ceiling (where I had flaking paint).

Once I started, pretty much all of the paint above the shower came off with a scraper (see pic). ceiling.jpg

Not sure if that surface is plaster or plasterboard. The rest of the ceiling paint is fine in the bathroom, so I didn't bother scraping all of the paint off and plugged any deep holes with filler and sanded down the surface off the removed area

My question is, there is a lip between the existing paint and the surface where I removed all the paint above the shower, what do I use to get it all level with the existing paint?

Also, once leveled, can I use the one coat of Zinsser primer and then a coat of Dulux bathroom paint to finish the job?

I wanna make sure the surface is totally flat, so wanna make sure it's done right and not have to re-visit in the next 4 months.

Anyone give me a step by step on exactly what to do? I also have some Sugar Soap, so not sure which point that is applied. Got family coming up next weekend, so hoping to get the job done beforehand.

Thanks,

At the moment, I have 1 tin of Zinsser 123 primer, 1 tin of Dulux Bathroom Coat, 1x Sugar Soap.
    What other stuff do I need please?

2. djjjuk

djjjuk New Member

Feathering those edges is the only way if you don't want to scrape the lot off - use a 180 grit, maybe even a 240, by hand. You don't need to give it that much, just lightly rub it in the direction away from the bare surface.
    I suspect more paint will come away than you think when you sand it - so give yourself a decent amount of time for that bit ..

I wouldn't use the sugar soap - just wash it down with light detergent after sanding and let it dry fully (no need to soak the ceiling through).

I also think you'll need 3 coats: assuming it's white ? If a colour then 4. That bare plaster will show through the difference with the existing painted part.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Install an extractor fan!

4. sharpharp

sharpharp New Member

What, another one?

5. sharpharp

sharpharp New Member

Thanks dj, i'll give that a try this weekend

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

One that works would help!

7. sharpharp

sharpharp New Member

Well it was recommended by your boyfriend Dave, I should have known better...

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's correct, but it was your boyfriends who recommended it to him and at the time also mentioned you know nothing about preparation for various types of paint! :p:D:rolleyes:

9. Working On It

Working On It Member

Is that not the result of not keying the plaster or not mist coating it?