Bathroom Extractor Fan - Duct Sizing Problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Steve Nolan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Steve Nolan

Steve Nolan New Member

Hi everyone - First time poster - I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm a recently qualified electrician (about 14 months or so). I've been asked to install extractor fans in a number of bathrooms in an old hotel. The wiring isn't an issue for me - I'm confident with this. My issue is with the ducting. The old broken fans appear to fit into existing ducting pipes of approx. 165mm in diameter. Most new Extractor fans (such as Manrose or Expelair models) have 100mm spigots.

Now. I've ordered a ducting reducer from 150mm to 100mm. What I expected was that there would be some 'give' in this to allow the 100mm radial to snugly fit over the typical 100mm fan spigot, but of course it doesn't. It's EXACTLY the same size, hard plastic, so won't fit. Not having worked with existing ducting before, can anyone advise me how to get around this issue please?

I have gound some fans that have 99mm spigots, but I doubt this one mil difference will allow me to fit the ducting over them either.

I'm basically looking for a solution to a problem I've not come across before - All advice would be extremely welcome.

Thanks

Steve

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

This is only a guess Steve as I've never needed to try it but how about the plastic sleeve that's used to join 2 sections of 100mm drainage pipes together?
    Welcome to the forum btw.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would recommend that you get yourself a pack of 100 mm dia. insulated flexible ducting that should allow you to insert the 100 mm spigot on the fan in to the 165 mm duct, using the extra width of the insulation to pack the space around the spigot inside the duct. Denmans do a 10m pack for around £40 incl VAT. Cut lengths of it, say 300 mm, and push them over the fan spigot and then slide it in to the duct.

4. Steve Nolan

Steve Nolan New Member

Thanks so much for the welcome, Seneca!

This 'sleeve' is exactly what I'm hoping to find - Do you have a Link I can get to this product?

Steve

5. Steve Nolan

Steve Nolan New Member

Was thinking this, but was wondering if it's a long term solution or would degrade over time?

6. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Quote for 6" fans instead. They are available.

Your reducer sounds like it is designed to fit INSIDE the duct. Get some rigid 4" duct, cut a few inches off, use to join new fan to reducer.

Reducers are going to push your fan forward though?

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes, Lec, I was wondering whether to suggest the same. :) 150mm fan would be better. More powerful too.

9. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Steve
    Please don't assume im taking the p*ss here, but i have used empty plastic plant pots to go between sizes of ducting in lofts etc!
    Generally these can easily be trimmed down to size with a hacksaw blade or stanley knife and slipped over each end of the fan/vent/reducer and then with the application of a few wraps of duct tape there as good as permanant!
    There conical and in every size you will ever need and made of plastic so wont go rusty.

Regards
    Most garden centres have thousands in the scrap skip that they will give you for nothing. Keep a few in your van for a cheap but effective fix!

10. Allybally

Allybally Member

Yee..haar

11. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Allybally
    Im assumming that you think im a cowboy with my cheap and effective fix!
    It's cheap and it works as you can trim the plastic flower pots to any size you like and so fit it to any manufactured fan or ducting - it's coming up with a practical solution and not being a gunslinger you Muppet!

12. Steve Nolan

Steve Nolan New Member

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions this past few days - I've fitted the first of 11 fans successfully this week by taking some of your suggestions on board - Cheers!

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

ive used rubber drainage coulpers before cos the come in diferent sizes and have some give in them, and have large jubilee clips on em.

14. Allybally

Allybally Member

I'm thinking your a cowboy to avoid purchasing a £2 adaptor, but to take the time and effort to make an adjustable device that is made from a plant pot, just not worth it, look I understand this site is for advice and help for areas that were not up to scratch on But using plant pots, next you'll be telling me it's ok to use them on down lights to make them fire rated! Plant pots are for plants

Lectrician likes this.
  15. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

@Allybally can you post a link to or advise where them £2 adaptor(s) can be purchased

16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

For a decent job you'd use a decent 6" fan.

The Manrose 4" are cheap and don't work very well and wear out quickly.

You should have pointed out to the hotel owner that increased years of service, less money calling out an electrician to fix faults, and savings in redecoration due to condensation and mould build up make the initally more expensive fan cheaper in the long run.

Also there may have been a reason for the larger fan: Do the existing fans share common ducting? A 4" fan will only push air for 3m. A larger more powerful fanmay have been needed for longer ducting runs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well I support the lateral thinking of using plant pots. Excellent idea. We are providing a means of channelling air. Have you never used flexible white thin flimsy horrible ***** ducts sold for peanuts with all the cheap fans on the market? That stuff rips as soon as you look at it. Well done Mr Jenks for using some gumption. Ally bally your out of order.

18. Allybally

Allybally Member

I'm not out of order, if there's a product on the markt for the job use it, you don't need to make shift things especially in a hotel, I work for alot of big hotels and schools and this sort of job is not necessary, the job needs doing so doing properly the once, not bodge it!

Ally

19. Allybally

Allybally Member

20. Steve Nolan

Steve Nolan New Member

Ally - The problem I had with these is that they are 100mm exactly - as is the spigot on the back of the fan - there is no 'overlap' neither fit's snugly inside (or outside) each other without some modifications.

Or am I (not for the first time) being thick?