Bathroom Extractor Fan..... Help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deanc4844, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Deanc4844

Deanc4844 New Member

Hi guys, looking for some help and advice....

Replacing my extractor as the old one has been here for years and has never worked.... Well after messing with the humidity and timer settings it comes on but will not go off!! Not sure if this is because there's no switched live? But this is wired exactly the same as the ceiling spotlight!! Was put in before I moved in and I've never really thought about it!!! New one purchased is linked below and I purchased with little knowledge, assumed one parts fits all etc... Obviously not!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia...te-axial-bathroom-extractor-fan-w-timer/54410

It seems that this needs a neutral, live and switched live.... I think I have neutral and live going to the existing unit as it stays on after the lights go out.

Currently the cables coming out of the ceiling are black, red and earth! These go back to a junction box (along with ceiling spotlights) and from there a cable goes to the pull cord

Is there anyway to wire this fan up (I have tried and it doesn't come on at all) with my current wiring or should I look to buy a different fan? If this is the case can anyone provide links for what I should be looking at?

I appreciate any help that can be given!

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Hi there

If your current fan is turned on when you turn on the lights and stays on for a few mins after you turn out the lights then your existing fan will be a timer fan and have all the cables needed to fit the new fan.. IE a Permanent Live (to run the timer after you turn off the lights) a Switched Live (to start the timer running when you turn on the lights) a Neutral and an unused earth.. So where were the cables connected to in the original fan ? if you only have a red black and earth then it wouldn't be wired as a timer fan unless someone has used the earth cable as the second live which is frankly very dangerous.

3. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Are you sure the existing fan isn't a 12V fan? there would be a transformer of some kind somewhere.. thats the only way it would work as a timer fan if you only have a red and black // Brown and blue at the fan and the earth was not being used

4. Deanc4844

Deanc4844 New Member

The red, black and earth are the i ly cables coming out of the ceiling which were wired to the Otho Al, Earth was not in use.... I don't think the timer function works, as I said I can't get the fan to switch off once I get it on!!

Once the fan is on it stays in until I flip the breaker for the upstairs lights!

The old fan is a Vectaor AMF 100 (240)

So i think who ever wired the ceiling lights probably didn't think about the fan and just shoved the live in, hence it not going off after the timer expires?

How can I look to resolve without and electrician, even if this means buying a different fan?

Thanks

5. Deanc4844

Deanc4844 New Member

I'm not sure if the fan comes on with the lights as it's very temperamental and rarely cones to life, unless I'm adjusting the timer/humidity

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ok. The fan has not been wired correctly because it would come on with the lights and go off when the lights are switched off. Not enough wires to it to make it a timer fan.

There are a couple of possibilities. Either the wires to the fan are live and neutral in which case the fan won't switch off, or the timer has been set to run for a very long time.
    If the wire is a switch wire and neutral you can override the timer by putting in a link wire from SL to L. This will enable the fan to operate with the light switch. However, if it is a permanent live see whether you can change the wire in the junction box to the switched live for the lights and link the L and SL in the fan. Or better still run a 3-core and earth from the jb and you can then wire it all correctly.

7. Deanc4844

Deanc4844 New Member

So I think I have it figured... Well kind of!

In the pic there are 3 3 core cables in the upper right which are fan, lights and switch from bathroom
    Then bottom right are the most right is the loft light and not sure on the one to the left?!

[​IMG]

So I think that the top 3 the fan and lights go to the far right live then the swithes live goes to the 2nd terminal.... Does this mean that's the switched live and the far right is the perm?

To resolve I assume new length of 4 core cable to run both live and switched live?

Thank you

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that sounds correct.

Deanc4844 likes this.