Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bob Hush, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

I am having to replace an old Newlec extractor because it is screeching. I noticed that this fan does not have any timer control that I can find, however it does overrun when the light is switched off. I checked the wiring and there, is Live, Neutral and Earth (earth not used) There is definitely no perm Live and switched live. I chose an Xpelair fan with timer as a replacement and this does have a timer control. Because the feed is a two core plus earth I was planning to run a wire between the perm live and switching live at the fan however this does not seem to work. I should also say there is an isolating switch next to the fan. Any ideas why this won't work?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY here but have a few questions ;

Can't see how fan overruns once light is switched off if there's no perm live

When you say 'Earth not used' - is it simply tucked away in fitting and not connected to anything

Are you sure Earth core has not been used as perm live - very naughty indeed but not unheard of

If you've just got a new fan with timer / overrun, your gonna need switched live and perm live for sure - ideally 3 core and Earth cable

If you link together at fan sw live and perm live, fan will work but not timer function

Please confirm that the Earth core haven't been used as a conductor

3. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

The earth is tucked away. I haven't been able to find any info on the Newlec fan as it is very old (15 yrs at least). I have 2 of these, 1 in ensuite and 1 in family. Right next to fan is an isolator switch which works as intended.
    To re-cap, fan runs whilst light is on and continues to run for around 20 minutes after light switched off. I had seen diagrams and video on YouTube showing installer put live to live terminal and then running wire between live and the T terminal but I have tried this and fan doesn't even turn. Called Xpelair tech line and they say fan must use 3 core to function. Does anyone know of fan not requiring 3 core,

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Post a couple of pictures of fan to ID the model and importantly wiring at fan and iso switch

If switched via light, again can't see how it overruns for 20 mins without a supply of juice

Strange o_O

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fan can't continue to run on if it doesn't have a permanent live.

Is the earth wire connected to a terminal on the fan? If so, then the 'earth' wire has been used as a permanent live.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

See my post above - my thoughts exactly ! :)

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Was a guy on here a few weeks back with same issue Dave. Unfortunately it turned out that he hadn't discovered free energy or a perpetual motion machine :D

8. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

Should also a

Attached Files:

9. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

Should also say same model in family bathroom but instead of two switches outside the electrician fitted a pull cord in the bathroom.

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi,
    This isn't always the case. I fitted an Xpelair one recently and they provide a terminal to park the CPC which is nice of them!

CGN likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That makes a change :)

FatHands likes this.
  12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

It certainly does mate! Shame all the electronics keep falling out when you are trying to fit it inside the ceiling thou!

CGN likes this.
  13. That is low voltage 12volt fan.
    There will be a transformer mounted somewhere that is supplying this.

14. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

15. Bob Hush

Bob Hush New Member

I did notice the 12v sticker on the fan but when I looked at the supply cable I thought this must be carrying 240v? So we are saying likely scenario is that transformer is wired to mains and then stepping down voltage to 12 v so the transformer likely has the perm and switching live?

16. Yes and the timer adjustment is also on the transformer.
    Easiest option would probably be to swap fan for 12 volt one,although it will be more expensive.

Bob Hush and FatHands like this.