Bathroom Extractor Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by James6388, Oct 30, 2014.

1. James6388

James6388 New Member

Hi

I am a complete novice at any trades and do not have any knowledge of carrying out jobs.

Just purchased first house and currently doing up bathroom. Plumber has been in and fitted bath, shower tray etc.

I have got a new extractor fan http://m.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia-100b-w-silent-axial-bathroom-extractor-fan/29887

There is a switch on the wall in the bathroom for the old one. The plumber we have had out has said it needs to stay. I was hoping for the fan to come on when the pull cord for shower is pulled, not needing a manual switch.

Ive read that there needs to be an isolator for a fan for maintanence? But having windows you dont need one? There are 2 in bathroom. Its just that I dont really want an ugly socket in new bathroom!

Have a friend electrician coming on friday to look and also look at a wire the plumber has cut but left in wall that was for a shaving light, no idea if it is still live or not!

Thanks for any feedback.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Don't do anything until your electrician mate has had a look!

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Opening windows mean no fan required, but windows which don't open means you can't use just the light switch, no windows then can be switched with just light switch. So as said best let electrician look first. I think it's either Part L or Part F which covers fans. Any open flue fires can also change requirements.

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi MGW,
    Its Part F mate. I always remember it being "F for fan". :)

MGW likes this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Seem to remember Part L also has a bearing. Something to do with open flues and extractor fans drawing fumes into the house. I remember I got it wrong will open flue I though since there was no assess to the flue on my fire it was not open but it seems since it draws combustion air from within the room it's classed as open.

But as you say it's Part F which covers if a fan is required. To be frank I find it hard reading as to me the only thing which ticks all the boxes is a heat recovery unit yet I see fans being fitted all the time so clearly I have read it wrong. Hence why I direct to document rather than just answer question.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

This is a bathroom remodel. Part L, F etc do not really matter - they are required for new build, not remodels.

If you want a fan, great. You should.

Consider a Humidistat - Although only a decent brand one, such as the Ventaxia Ambient Response. You could also consider a flow switch on the pipework to the shower - this starting the fan. Connecting a fan to the shower switch is possible, but needs additional consideration, and things get complicated.

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

As to Part F I agree, but Part L requirements are for your safety.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must admit don't know anything about fan regs - but surely it would be wise to fit one anyway even if the windows open and stuff as in the winter the windows would normally be closed in the shower room/bathroom or whatever. You can buy a decent Manrose inline kit off of screwfix at a reasonable price and just fit the thing, or if you cant use inline then use through the wall. Personal choice as to whether humidistat etc is fitted, but I find the override off of light switch is ample within diy environs.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

In my upstairs shower room I fitted a Manrose 6in integral pir fan. When you walk in it operates automatically irrespective as to whether the light is on or orffff. At night the fan is defeated via a fan isolator fitted outside the bathroom - it saves making a fan noise when you are just going for a whizz at night and stuff.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Your whizz would prolly be louder than the fan. :D