Bathroom extractor pipes storing water

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AshMiah, Dec 19, 2014.

1. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

I've recently noticed one of the bathroom extractor pipes which lead out of the roof seem to be collecting water where it bends, ie the pipe before exiting the roof snakse into a U-shape where water is now storing.
    I've removed the pipe from where it exits the roof on a rainy day and could not see that rain water was seeping through the roof tiles?
    Heard of lagging the pipes but not sure if thats already in motion with the pipes curling into a u-shape?

How should I help stop condensation within the pipes?
    There are two orher extractor pipes from other bathrooms which are not depositing water from condesation, they are roughly a meter apart in the loft?

Many Thanks

2. Can't you remove the 'U'?

If not, then lagging should help as should leaving the fan running for a good few minutes on a timer beyond the point it's done its business.

Almost certainly it's as you suspect - expelled air condensing in the pipe where it's much colder, and the condensate gathering in the trough...

AshMiah likes this.
  3. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

The pipe seems to be far to long, will need cutting to remove the U as some parts are fixed to the roof support.
    This condensation has only taken place in the last few months, i've been in this property for the past 10 years, but perhaps never noticed it...
    Can a likely cause be excess dust trapped in the fan, noticed quite a bit so hooved up last night?

Sorry for my ignorance, but was is lagging exactly and how do I achieve it?
    and my extractor fans are triggered by swithing on the bathroom light, do I install a seperate fan that is timer driven?