Bathroom fan (non-timer) wiring in loft

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gkay, Aug 26, 2014.

1. gkay

gkay New Member

Hi
    I've had a look through various forums but can't see the answer to this exact question.
    Installing a non-timer fan in the bathroom, with the actual fan unit in the loft, does it necessarily have to be wired to the lighting circuit? There is a socket in the loft that isn't much use. It's the end of a radial circuit.
    Could I replace this socket with an appropriate fused connection unit and from there to the fan?
    If so, do I wire a twin pole light switch in line between the connection unit and the fan? The switch would be outside the bathroom obviously.
    I gather wiring a timer fan more involved but I think we can manage without one in any case. How hard is it to just switch it off after 10 minutes?!
    Much obliged.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What you're proposing is ok, in fact you could just put a plug on it with a 3 amp fuse as there's already a socket present,instead of fitting a fused connection unit. The switch doesn't need to be 2 pole, a single pole switch will be fine.

FatHands likes this.